• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is your garden private?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is your garden private?

A PCSO came to my house this morning in response to a neighbour dispute. My property is freehold, garden and house owned by me. The PCSO said that my back garden is private but the front garden is not private and I cannot stop anyone coming into my front garden. He quoted the law which gives access to police, delivery people, gas, water etc and applied it to neighbours kids - ie telling me that I cannot stop neighbours kids or anyone else coming into my front garden because it is not private property.

Is this true? Can someone clarify please.

Thank you
    Tags: None

Ermm that doesn't sound right, I'm sure Des will know the exact details.

Sounds like PCSO is referring to the implied access granted to postman, deliveries etc, but this certainly does not cover things like children playing in your garden etc?

Sounds like he was trying to 'not get involved' to me.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

As Celestine there is a common law implied right of access to allow people approach the house.

This right can be withdrawn
      1) verbally, telling the visitor to leave
      2) by notice on the gate
      3) by prior notice.

Once withdrawn any person entering (or in case of 1) not leaving) becomes a trespasser and could be sued.
      However if no damage has been done there will be no (or very little) award.

So you do have a right to stop children entering your front garden, but how you would enforce it is a different matter.
      Is your front garden "open plan"?..... gorse or pyracantha hedging?

Comment

Yes, "implied access"- he said it covers children as well as the aforementioned.

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          As Celestine there is a common law implied right of access to allow people approach the house.

Is your front garden "open plan"?..... gorse or pyracantha hedging?
          My front garden is separated from the pavement by an approximately 5ft 6in high wall, a similar height double gate for car access and a similar height single gate for foot access.

Ironically there have been no children in my garden. I suspect the PCSO was trying to divert attention from my complaint about the foul language and anti social conduct of a mother who came to my door after I complained about children throwing balls at cars parked in the road outside.

Thank you for the info

Comment

Ahhh so the PCSO was trying to suggest she had every right to charge up to your door and act abusively?! Hmm yes, he/she was definitely trying to finish their shift on time I think.
            As you can imagine, even if you withdrew her right to repeat her unpleasant visit, it is unlikely she would take any notice and the police will view trespass as very much a civil matter.
            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
              Ahhh so the PCSO was trying to suggest she had every right to charge up to your door and act abusively?! Hmm yes, he/she was definitely trying to finish their shift on time I think.
              As you can imagine, even if you withdrew her right to repeat her unpleasant visit, it is unlikely she would take any notice and the police will view trespass as very much a civil matter.
              He did say that they would come out if she did it again. Apparently if she had behaved that way in the street, such behaviour would have been treated as criminal, but he expressed reluctance to go down that route given that she was on private property. Plods...don't you love 'em....not.

I shan't hold my breath!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X