• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lack of Action from HA - Want to take action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of Action from HA - Want to take action

Hi there,
    I am a Shared Ownership leaseholder with a well known (for all the wrong reasons) Housing Association.

I have one of the HA council properties next to me as well as another two next to that. Since moving in 4 years ago, have had so many issues relating to ASB, including both drug taking and dealing from these properties. I have already had cause to make one formal complaint to the HA. I had to take it to the Housing Ombudsman as the HA had not responded in over four months to the complaint.
    The latest incident involved the tenants next to me having their back and front doors being booted in by the police and windows as they had barricaded the doors. Arrests were made, children put into care etc. I immediately reported this to the HA who seemingly took no action whatsoever. This happened 5 months ago and I have chased the HA repeatedly between now and then.

The property has been left in the same condition it was in after the raid, the window was made safe but the back door is smashed to pieces as is the front. Nobody seems to be living in the property and one of the tenants comes for 5 minutes once per week to get post I guess. We only know they are there because of the stench of cannabis. I have raised my concerns countless times with the HA as well as raising the concern that we could get squatters due to the poor state of the property. The property is attracting a lot of unwanted attention due to its condition.

I feel I have once more given the HA ample time and opportunity to resolve the matter and would be grateful if anyone could provide me with some advice on what to do next? I am more than happy to do a second formal complaint, but I personally feel compensation is necessary now as I have not been able to enjoy my property, visitors are appalled, locals stand and point at the property. It has given my street an awful reputation. None of this was necessary if the HA could have done it's job.

I would be very grateful of any advice or pointers.
    Tags: None

I would be really grateful of any help anyone can give me. I have had so many issues with this HA. Are my only options to make a second formal complaint or can I get a solicitor and take legal action? I wish I had never bought this house, it is affecting my mental health.

Comment

Originally posted by henrygregory View Post
      I would be really grateful of any help anyone can give me. I have had so many issues with this HA. Are my only options to make a second formal complaint or can I get a solicitor and take legal action? I wish I had never bought this house, it is affecting my mental health.
      You should make a Formal Complaint to the Council, send it 'Signed for'. Do you have legal expenses cover through any of your insurance polices? You've probably been too 'tolerant'.

https://www.lgo.org.uk/make-a-compla...social-housing

Comment

Why not police again with someone e using cannabis

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

You should make a Formal Complaint to the Council, send it 'Signed for'. Do you have legal expenses cover through any of your insurance polices? You've probably been too 'tolerant'.

https://www.lgo.org.uk/make-a-compla...social-housing
          I have got the council involved and they have been so helpful to me. The housing association have been useless telling me they can tell me nothing due to data protection and that their repairs team are looking into it. There is just no excuse to leave it this long.
          I do have legal expenses cover on my insurance, yes. What are you thinking?

I am really not happy about the things that are allowed to go on in this street and I am so worried that the value of my property will be negatively impacted when I come to sell it or buy the remaining share.

Comment

Originally posted by henrygregory View Post

I have got the council involved and they have been so helpful to me. The housing association have been useless telling me they can tell me nothing due to data protection and that their repairs team are looking into it. There is just no excuse to leave it this long.
            I do have legal expenses cover on my insurance, yes. What are you thinking?

I am really not happy about the things that are allowed to go on in this street and I am so worried that the value of my property will be negatively impacted when I come to sell it or buy the remaining share.
            You've clearly taken some of these steps and have collected evidence, follow the rest of the steps, your legal expenses might help with the very last option, but you'll need to check with the T's & C's and your insurance company. To my mind that's what Legal Expenses is for, once you've exhausted all other options.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...iation_repairs

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

You've clearly taken some of these steps and have collected evidence, follow the rest of the steps, your legal expenses might help with the very last option, but you'll need to check with the T's & C's and your insurance company. To my mind that's what Legal Expenses is for, once you've exhausted all other options.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...iation_repairs

Thank you for your post.
              I am going to check through the Ts&Cs of my current insurer.
              I have written an extensive formal complaint 2 and make many references to my formal complaint 1 from 2019 which I will include.
              I have stated in formal complaint 2 that I will be taking legal action if the HA do not come back to me with a response I consider satisfactory and some form of compensation for the sheer days and daysworth of time I have spent having to chase them and complain since I completed the purchase of my shared ownership home over four years ago.

Do you think it would be worth me contacting my insurer now, before I send the second formal complaint for some proper legal advice, or wait and see what response I get back from the HA first?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X