• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Crumbling end wall of gardens; legal aspects?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crumbling end wall of gardens; legal aspects?

I live in an 1860s terrace. At the end of the gardens of the houses is a brick wall, probably also dating from the 1860s or not long after. It is teetering outwards, and bricks have fallen off the top, in parts; the mortar is like sand and you can simply lift bricks off the top with your hand.
    When I bought this house, the surveyor told me it was dangerous and ought to come down. Luckily for us, there's an industrial estate over the other side of the wall, and they built a tall, strong metal mesh fence - which protects the public on the other side from our wall, even if it were to completely collapse, I think. Still, I would like to take the wall down to be on the safe side. I plan to sell the house at some point and don't want it to be a problem.

Of course I need to consult with my neighbours on each side, as my wall is continuous with theirs. One of my neighbours is lovely and I'm sure we'll amicably decide what to do. Unfortunately, the one on the other side is combative. It's impossible for me to talk to him about anything without him interpreting it as an attack, even though I have always been polite and calm. The old, collapsing section of wall only extends a couple of feet into his garden - beyond that, there is a newer wall.
    I told him about wanting to take my wall down and he was immediately talking in terms of suing me if I cause any damage to his side. He wants me to have someone CUT my wall apart from his, straight down. This does not seem tenable, to me, given the state of the wall. His side is already collapsing, without any input from me.
    He has now sent me a legalistic letter stating that he doesn't want his wall altered or knocked down (but he still wants me to cut the wall.)

Due to the fence built in the industrial park, a wall is not really required in that position for security. In the case of this neighbour, that fence is completely obscured by a large shed, so it makes zero difference, visually. In my case, I'd replace the wall with a couple of panels of fencing, for privacy.

I'm wondering if I could get the local planning department to condemn the wall? In that case he might be obliged to take his wall down too, or replace it, but as I've said - the wall does not actually serve any purpose. All we really need to do is take down the collapsing section, brick by brick.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation, or have any light to shed on this?

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X