• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Housing Association using area for containers - what can I do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housing Association using area for containers - what can I do?

Hi,

I own an ex-council house. Some of the houses on my street are owned by the local housing association as well as a strip of land across the back of mine and about 6 other houses. The strip of land is used for parking and is accessed by a small road up the side of my house.

I have lived here for about 12 years & for about 7 of those years on & off the housing association have either themselves or given permission for others to use the land to store shipping containers. Mitie are currently working on local-ish HA houses and have 5 storage containers on the land plus a skip & a portaloo. This is probably about 20 feet from the rear of my house. I would estimate the current containers have now been there for about 2 years. Without the containers there is parking for about 11 + cars, with them there, there is only parking for about 3 cars.

During the time these various containers have been there I have had my car damaged twice by workmen (who did not tell me), someone using my outside tap and my garage blocked off on a regular basis by work vans. All of these problems (except the tap) do get resolved but it's not the point. All of this is interfering with the quiet enjoyment of my home.

I suspect the containers would also have an adverse affect on the value of my home should I wish to sell it. I also wonder if I'd need to tell any potential buyer that this happens?

I have complained to the housing association on a couple of occasions but they are not interested, as far as they are concerned it's their land & they can do what they like.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to what I can do? I have asked the council if the HA need planning permission for the containers but I didn't get very far. I know the other neighbours are fed up with it but I am not sure if they are actually making a complaint.

TIA
    Tags: None

Have you checked with Land Registry to see if HA claim to the land is true? https://hmlandregistry.blog.gov.uk/2...gistered-land/

Comment

My standard suggestion is to involve your local councillor. They should help to sort out problems like this.

Comment

Yes, Des I've done that.

Thanks Scott I may give that a try. Just wonder if there are any legal avenues.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X