• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Private rental home building work problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private rental home building work problem

Hi,

My son and partner have issues with their rental property. Son has aspergers - a disability, so this is a highly stressful situation.

It's an end of terrace house and had a self contained annex next door both owned by the landlord . The landlord has started work to improve the self contained annex as it couldn't be used as it did not meet planning requirements ( too small we believe).

They were told late in the summer that the work would commence and their garden would be halved in size to give a garden for the annex and room for the builders to work. Landlord agreed to reduce rent during disruption ( but didn't agree dates)

Cut a long story short this seems to be a landlord DIY bodge it job. We have already complained about the landlords lack of respect for their now half a garden and damage to garden property and unsafe practices. . Landlord said if they weren't happy they could give 1 months notice.

Last weekend the landlord who is not an electrician cut some live cables that appear the run from the main house to the annex. This caused sockets and lights to trip. The landlord reset the trips and assured us everything was fine. At this point we realised it was not going to be possible for my son to live in this house while the building work was done as it was impacting his health and he has been unable to go to work . Same for his partner. They have found an alternative rental which they can move to in a couple of weeks and have given notice to 31st December.

On Thursday it rained. It transpired the landlord has left live cables protruding from the outside wall into the now half demolished roofless annex.The power supply coming from the main house and everything tripped again. I asked the landlord to send an electrician, but he came himself and just wrapped the wires in insulating tape. Not surprisingly , it tripped again 5 mins after he left. Son could not stay in the house as no lights or power and was very dodgy. ' Electrician' and landlord came again yesterday. Unable to fix it. ( i'm dealing with the landlord now as the stress is too much for my son)

Today they have emailed to say they have now spoken to the 'electrician' who has confirmed that the electrics need further investigation but he is unable to undertake the work himself until the beginning of January. He has stated that it is not advisable to use the kitchen or tamper with the fuse box.

They claim to have tried a few other electricians and can’t get anyone to attend the property before Christmas. and in view of son's forced decision to leave , they suggest that we end the tenancy as soon as he can move out.

This is clearly not solvable through negotiation.Landlord is completely oblivious to needs of tenant - not a single apology yet. Tenant cannot occupy they house and is homeless until new property is available ( still going through referencing - waiting on landlord ref!)

My son has been forced to move because of the building work ( they only have planning permission to change the house to a 6 bed btw not to build a self contained annex.) I intend to report them once I have got son's possessions out of the house - for the planning issue, the unsafe building work and an unqualified person tampering with the electrics .

What recourse do we have to compensate for the costs relating to having to move?. They have been in the property nearly 2 years. They had agreed a new tenancy verbally in this house from Jan when their tenancy was due for renewal and had every intention of staying.

Thanks is advance to anyone who can comment

Last edited by haycorns; 6th December 2020, 14:17:PM.
    Tags: None

I think it a wise decision to wait till you have got everything out who knows what he might do.
    The important thing is your son and partner are now safe. Carefully itemise every reasonable additional cost you have incurred. That is the basis of your claim. Not qualified but I don't think you can claim for anything else.
    I would, as you plan, alert your power supplier to prevent him trying to shift blame.. Best Wishes.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X