• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbours claiming criminal damage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbours claiming criminal damage

Hi

Really hoping somebody can give me some advice.

A bit of background, I got into an argument with my neighbours a couple of months ago over a parking dispute. Our house is on a road that has roadside parking so parking is often on a first come first serve type of basis. Having said that everybody tries to be respectful and park outside their own house, everybody apart from my neighbours across the road that is. They have 3 cars in the household and they constantly park outside my house. After one of the cars had been parked outside my house for 5 days without moving I asked them, politely, if they could move it to give me a chance to park outside my house. My diplomacy must need improving as I was met by swearing and lots of aggression. At that point I could see I would get nowhere with her so I walked away.

The argument seems to have triggered something in them. They are still being aggressive weeks later and last week I had a visit from the police. They are now claiming that I've thrown some kind of substance over one of their cars and damaged it! Let me be clear in saying I haven't touched their car. I now have to give a statement to the police in an interview later this week. Today I found out from a neighbour that they tried to pull the same stunt with a previous neighbour. The same couple claimed to have witnessed a neighbour pour paint remover over their car and reported it to the police. When it was proved that the woman who they "saw" do this had been in hospital on the day they reported they had to withdraw the complaint.

I was in my house with my partner at the time of the alleged incident. So at the end of the day it's their word against mine and apparently the car does have some damage. Whether they've done this themselves or it was pre-existing I don't know.

Apart from telling the police the above I don't know what to do. I'm massively worried in case they believe the neighbours and I'm charged with criminal damage. Can anybody offer any advice or opinion?

Many thanks

Jim
    Tags: None

I am sure more experienced beagles will be along soon but do not go without a Solicitor!

Comment

One other thing to bear in mind unfortunately is that if this is a public road then you have no rights at all over parking outside your own property.

Comment

If you do not have or cannot afford your own solicitor ask for the duty solicitor to be present
        This is your right and is free

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X