• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HMO Notice to Vacate by Landlord

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HMO Notice to Vacate by Landlord

Hi,

I am in a HMO & I have recently been given a month's notice to vacate under my AST by my landlord, yet I have done nothing wrong. My housemate made a complaint about me to my landlord following a petty argument that we had over cleaning, which she started. I explained that I only moved her belongings (several pairs of trainers) into the communal cupboards from the communal areas so that myself & my other housemate could clean. I have done this many times in the past when I clean rather than cleaning around people's stuff & it was never an issue before. My landlord was not prepared to listen to my version of events yet stated other tenants complained about my behaviour & attitude yet she means I am direct in my approach when I ask for help cleaning. All I have ever done was ask the other tenants to help with the cleaning of the house but I have had to do the majority of it on my own. This leaves me cleaning up after other tenants because they have not been considerate enough of their fellow housemates or have any interest in sharing chores to keep the house clean especially in light of the COVID-19. My landlord didn't specify why only saying she had received complaints about me from other tenants & that I was the reason they had left previously. I informed her they had actually left to buy their own properties, which they had confirmed to me.

I find this unfair especially when I am helping keep the house in good condition & I feel that my landlords exploit my good nature, treating me differently to other tenants.

Given a possible imminent national lockdown, is my landlord in their rights to serve me notice over something so petty as I have been living here for several years without issues & I am not ready to leave yet as I am saving to buy my own property?
    Tags: None

The notice is invalid. What date did they give it you? Notices must now be 6 months if given after 28th August, immediately prior to that it was 3 months. You don't have to do anything, but might like to let your landlord know the notice is not valid.

Comment

My landlord gave me notice on 17.09.20. This is reassuring though as this gives me more time to find somewhere else for myself. I did refuse to accept the notice given the reasons stated above & that she told the tenant who complained that she would give me notice, which I found out from another tenant before I was texted the notice on whatsapp. I just find this unprofessional from a landlord & given their main working profession.

In the meantime I will wait & see if anything else is said before telling the landlord that the notice period is invalid. I was not impressed that my landlord had asked me to apologise to the tenant who complained about me, when I haven't done anything wrong to apologise for. So as things stand the tenant who made the complaint & I do not speak to each other & she had made this clear by cutting off all communication with me. Thank you so much for your advice as I was not sure exactly where I stood with the AST & living in an unlicensed HMO.

Comment

TRUNKEE

Does the LL live in HMO premises or somewhere elses ?

Comment

45002 Op says she has an AST.

Comment

Sorry just seen a continuation of this thread. The landlords do not live on site. I moved out a month ago as I had enough & didn't want to spend another spell with others who previously flouted the COVID-19 rules during a 2nd lockdown.

Comment

How long did you stay at the property did you get a tenancy agreement and pay a deposit?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X