• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Accidental damage to campervan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidental damage to campervan

I’d be grateful for some advice from anyone who can spare me the time.
    My 18 year old son and some friends had a night away recently in the campervan of one of his friends parents. A window was opened several times by various boys, my son then opened it and it fell out. My sons was originally being asked to pay £1000 by the campervan owner, it’s a 51 plate and the window is hard to source and then there is fitting included in the amount.
    I don’t feel it’s his responsibility to pay this nor can he afford to, he starts his first year at Uni next week.
    We have received 2 letters from the owner, the last says he’ll accept £355 or take my son to the small claims court.
    My son has written and offered to contribute a small amount if the other boys do as a gesture of goodwill but this has been ignored.
    I feel that if someone opened my car door and it fell off I couldn’t possibly ask them to pay for a replacement but this is pretty much what is happening here.
    My son of course is beside himself with worry but I really don’t feel he should take the blame for what is a 19 year old campervan that
    is used regularly by groups of boys.
    Thanks so much if you got this far.
    Tags: None

I'd let him follow up on the SCC. I doubt if a judge would agree to such a large charge

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I’m thinking the same.

Comment

presumably the window fell out as it was old and worn.
        Charging the poor sod who was last to touch it is like lending an old car to a mate and charging him for a replacement clutch because it gave up the ghost while he was driving it.
        I'd be telling him to jog on!

Comment

Really appreciate your reply, I completely agree.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X