• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Buyer seeking damages post completion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buyer seeking damages post completion

Dear Forum Members

Thank you in advance to all who read/ post. We sold our flat approx 9 months ago, the process wasn’t very amicable to say the least. Recently (over 9 months since exchange of contracts/ completion) our buyer has written to us seeking damages for physical defects to the property he bought from us, claiming misinformation was given during the process. The damages sought are that windows and doors weren’t in good order, that a velux window leaked and that we didn’t disclose our upstairs neighbours had wooden floors, and that we knew (wooden floors being a breach of the lease agreement). He knew about all the faults he is now seeking damages for . Re: windows and doors, he requested on several occasions via email prior to exchange that windows be in ‘good order‘, we sent videos showing windows opening and closing and heard nothing else. But he is now claiming nearly £400 for a for having to fix a bi-fold door that also opened and closed but was a bit stiff to open ? The Velux window in question, he’d also noted a very old stain caused by an historic leak, the leak was fixed some time ago; but a few months after completion he’s claiming the velux leaked and is now trying to claim nearly £7k for a new roof that he has been quoted to remedy the leaking velux. Re: wooden floors, we disclosed to the buyer that flat directly above was having renovation works done, again the buyer proceeded in this knowledge. But he is now quoting old correspondence claiming we knew about the flat having wooden floors ? The only correspondance we have on this is an old emaik trail to the upstairs neighbours in question telling them that putting wooden floors in was against their lease. We don’t know if/ when they went ahead and ignored this, how can t get buyer claim we knew from this ? Any advice would much appreciated. Our conveyancing solicitor has said we should just quote the ‘buyer beware me’ clause from the contract, and that it can’t be a misinformation claim as he seeking redress for faults he knew of.
    Tags: property

It is up to the buyer to establish the condition of the property prior to sale. Do as advised by your solicitor. A two line answer quoting the contractual clause and advise you consider the matter closed.

Comment

somebody tried similar to me, their solicitor sent a complaint to my solicitor who forwarded the very abrupt solicitors letter (bossy/rude/arrogant) and advised that I would surly deal a response as he knew me:- I did and stated anybody with any knowledge (assuming solicitors knew their job) that old water tanks not used in roofs are grandad items and will be removed should the roof tiles etc be removed ans that is the only way they can be extracted per se:-

other stated areas was I would have to pay to get it removed by vehicle and that other items were found in roof space? strange I cleared the bits there out! so asked them to list such alleged items? & in view that at the request of their client I left the cooker in situ:- and also as in good faith installed a new shower unit and ancillaries on leaving property, any further threats will be dealt with in a proper legal manner! Never heard any more, just a laugh at the end of phone by other solicitors. seems the lady occupant had a disease i.e. ordering goods not needed and owes money everywhere!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X