• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Finding the solicitor who did land purchase in 1986

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding the solicitor who did land purchase in 1986

Hi,

I just wondered is there anyway to find out the name of the solicitor who did the conveyancing of a plot purchase in 1986? There is nothing in the extract from land registry. And of course I realise he could be dead by now.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Hi,

If there are no contact details on the documents, you may want to consider to ring the land registry and explain your situation to them. They might be able to assist you on this matter.

Many thanks
    I am a law student undertaking work experience on the LegalBeagles forum. My advice is from my own experience only and is given without liability. If in any doubt, please contact a regulated and insured legal professional to seek further advice.

Comment

Just to update. Land registry told me there were other documents with the title and they I could submit a form to have copies of these, which I did at a cost of £14 AFAIR. These documents had the name of the solicitor (call them firm A). I then searched and contacted the SRA (Solicitor registration Authority). SRA told me that they didn't know who took over the firm (partnership?) but they did have contact details for one of the two solicitors and if I sent SRA a letter (by email) they would forward it on. I did this but never got a reply. So I tried ring round all the local firms (the solicitor's name I found on the land registry documents was local) and asking if any of these remembered the firm and who took them over. One local firm did remember and told me what he remembered, firm A taken over by firm B, then firm B taken over by firm C. I then went back to SRA who, confirmed that details for firm C said they took over firm B and that details for firm B said they took over firm A. Seems like SRA could work backwards but not forwards.

Firm C carries the liability for firm A but they are not interested in replying to me even though I think I have solid evidence of negligence and suggested a route to make a 3rd party pay instead of firm C who weren't the ones to make the mistake. Firm C wasn't interested and didn't even bother to reply until I complained to Legal Ombudsman. Still awaiting the result from LO (wait time is 9 mths!).

BTW if any solicitor reading this is interested in this as a nwnf case then it potentially it is in the 10's of thousands or more, due to age of the claim. The issue only came to light in 2018 so should be within time limits.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X