• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

"Heir Hunter"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Heir Hunter"

I had a letter today from a firm in Wigan looking for claiments to a late Aunt's estate. She passed away about this time last year. She never married and apparently left no will. There is now only one surviving Aunt who is now in her nineties. From memory there were ten brothers and sisters and a further dozen cousins., Including me and my brother.
    I was told the potential estate is in excess of two hundred grand and this firm should the prove successful takes cut of twenty percent.
    Legal Beagles having taught me well, Do I trust this and sign and send the document they have sent?
    Last edited by dogtired; 8th January 2020, 18:49:PM.
    Never give up, Never surrender.
    Tags: None

It's not something I know anything about but I'd certainly do a bit of due diligence on them before committing yourself. Google is your friend as Amethyst would say!

As they've tipped you off as to the potential inheritance there might be nothing to stop you doing it yourself through a solicitor (subject to the company's T&Cs) though I suspect it might actually be better and easier to go with the company. They might turn out to be cheaper, hungrier and ultimately more successful if that's what they do.

Do you know if any of the brothers and cousins have been contacted by them too? Dunno how it works if some go with the company and some don't?

Maybe R0b or Des might be able to advise.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
      It's not something I know anything about but I'd certainly do a bit of due diligence on them before committing yourself. Google is your friend as Amethyst would say!

As they've tipped you off as to the potential inheritance there might be nothing to stop you doing it yourself through a solicitor (subject to the company's T&Cs) though I suspect it might actually be better and easier to go with the company. They might turn out to be cheaper, hungrier and ultimately more successful if that's what they do.

Do you know if any of the brothers and cousins have been contacted by them too? Dunno how it works if some go with the company and some don't?

Maybe R0b or Des might be able to advise.
      The ones they know of certainly. I have checked the firm out and they seem legit.
      Lost touch years ago. My brother has been contacted and I have my will lodged with a local firm so may ask their advice

Comment

https://www.estateresearch.co.uk

Thie letter was from the Wigan office

Comment

With that number of relatives and viewing the size of the estate less 20% (+Vat!) don't go booking that Caribbean cruise yet!

Whilst some firms charge between 10 to 30% others work on a time basis or even a flat fee, which can work out cheaper.
          You don't have to go with the outfit that contacted you, but it is easier.

I speak from experience a couple of years ago, when my life changing inheritance was a cheque for £75.86p

Comment

Yeah, afraid I wouldn't have a clue but echo what EXC has said around carrying out your due diligence on the company.

Maybe try and shop around and negotiate a better deal play them off each other and see what works best - the higher the potential value, the smaller the percentage I say. Of course always make sure you read the small print and don't be pressured into their 'it must be done now' patter and I'm not sure if it's natural in these type of situations but I would be making sure any commission they get is contingent on you obviously getting an inheritance over and above the commission, otherwise you might end up paying them out of your own pocket, almost like a no win no fee type situation.

Lots of relations might equal complexity so as Des says, work out what might be best value or closest to it before diving in and signing your name.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

You weren't expecting it so 80% of a sum you didn't know about is still good.

If you were to "go it alone" you would have to do all the work to show the court who was entitled to what from the estate

Comment

I'd negotiate, offer them 10% or you will do it all yourself. 20k is still a good commission and it's unlikely it would cost more if you employed a solicitor.

Comment

Thanks all. Suspect any money due would be minus Care Home fees etc?
                  Last edited by dogtired; 9th January 2020, 09:01:AM. Reason: Stange symbols I did not enter in text.

Comment

The Bona Vacantia Division*of the Government Legal Department generally disposes of the assets and settles known and relevant liabilities, so I would expect the care home fees to have been paid (but my expectations are often dashed!)

Comment

My brother is going with thus company as health wise he says he cannot be bothered so I may do the same.
                      Not capable My self these days to be fair. Done a Google search and the firm do seem to be legit. And they can provide you with a basic Family Tree.Thanks everyone, I will keep you informed. xx

Comment

The companies work on the same basis as the PPI firms in that they basically ask you everything they need to process the claim then do it for you....at a price. Call me a cheapskate but if you have that information already, or at least a reasonably good guide to the family connections then why pay them to do it? By giving them the information they may also discover potential new clients based on the details you provide (a family member they were unaware of). They would try and learn as much as possible in order to get more claimants on their books and increase their revenue.*

The common ancestors between your aunt and yourself would be your grandparents;

If your aunt was unmarried then a copy of her birth certificate will give the name of her parents (your grandparents)..*

You then need a copy of the birth certificate of her sibling (your parent). Assuming they were full sibings this second certificate will again show your grandparents
                        Your own birth certificate will of course show your parents including your mother's maiden name..*
                        Three official documents that link the names together.

Additionally*
                        your parents marriage certificate should show the names of both of their fathers (your grandfathers). If your aunt is through your maternal side this certificate would be required to demonstrate the name change for your mother.*

Potentially the research required to prove you have a claim (obtaining the reference numbers), could take just a few minutes. Granted I have 15 years of chasing family history under my belt but it's fairly straightforward process.* Certificate orders can be made direct to the GRO online and delivery of the certificates is usually around a week. The reference numbers required for ordering certificates can be accessed free online, there is no need to use the family history subscription type websites..

Comment

Originally posted by Gouls View Post
                          The companies work on the same basis as the PPI firms in that they basically ask you everything they need to process the claim then do it for you....at a price. Call me a cheapskate but if you have that information already, or at least a reasonably good guide to the family connections then why pay them to do it? By giving them the information they may also discover potential new clients based on the details you provide (a family member they were unaware of). They would try and learn as much as possible in order to get more claimants on their books and increase their revenue.

The common ancestors between your aunt and yourself would be your grandparents;

If your aunt was unmarried then a copy of her birth certificate will give the name of her parents (your grandparents)..

You then need a copy of the birth certificate of her sibling (your parent). Assuming they were full sibings this second certificate will again show your grandparents
                          Your own birth certificate will of course show your parents including your mother's maiden name..
                          Three official documents that link the names together.

Additionally
                          your parents marriage certificate should show the names of both of their fathers (your grandfathers). If your aunt is through your maternal side this certificate would be required to demonstrate the name change for your mother.

Potentially the research required to prove you have a claim (obtaining the reference numbers), could take just a few minutes. Granted I have 15 years of chasing family history under my belt but it's fairly straightforward process. Certificate orders can be made direct to the GRO online and delivery of the certificates is usually around a week. The reference numbers required for ordering certificates can be accessed free online, there is no need to use the family history subscription type websites..

Thank you.
                          There are at least a dozen or so cousins ( most of which I have had no contact with for years) and only one surviving Aunt. To be honest following a stroke I do not feel able to undertake the kind of research you kindly have given.
                          I am fully aware the company will take a cut and due* to the potentially large number of benificiories my brother and I will not get a life changing amount of cash..
                          What you never had you will never miss!

Comment

Well took a while, apparently a dispute with Salford City Council but got the cheque!
                            Not life changing but enough for a newer Car for Mr DT and replacement Windows in the Lounge and Bedrooms. No family tree as yet but will chase it up shortly ..
                            Last edited by dogtired; 23rd July 2020, 14:30:PM.

Comment

Worth the wait then

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X