• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbours taking photos of building work in garden (and extension too big!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbours taking photos of building work in garden (and extension too big!)

I have a couple of queries I would appreciate some advice on...

Firstly, on a daily basis our neighbours are taking photos of our builders and the building work in our garden (from their own garden) - are they allowed to do this?

Also, our planning permission was for a 3m extension (semi detached) but the Builder's gone to 3.3m... I know PD is now 6m, so do I need to be worried?

thanks in advance!
    Tags: None

If you are building under Permitted Development rights extensions over 3 metres are subject to the neighbour consultation scheme.
    If they weren't consulted they might start making waves, hence possibly the photographs.
    There is nothing you can do to stop them taking photographs

If the builder built beyond the dimensions on the plans, (for which you have planning permission and are not extending under permitted development rights) without your authority he will probably be the one with problems

Comment

Thanks - but if we've literally gone over by 15-20cm what can actually happen? Could we be forced to demolish and rebuild back to 3m exactly?

Comment

If the rules have been broken, yes you could be forced to demolish and start again

However very unlikely for such a small infraction

You might need to apply for retrospective approval from the planning office for the change to the plans.
        I would suggest a word with the planning officer to see what they say.
        It will be better coming from you rather than your neighbour (if they are likely to notice the discrepancy)

Comment

If it is not illegal in your region/country to take photos of the area or surroundings, then it is perfectly legal. Many photos taken for no reason go to depositphotos from where people can take them or view them. Another thing is if your neighbours are aware of the perimeter violation, they can use the photos to prove their action as legitimate. That is, they can see that you have permission for a 3m extension and you are doing 0.3m more and it is noticeable. But in size you have almost 11 instead of 9 PD, so it's probably something to worry about. If you find it difficult to talk to your neighbours, of course you will not sleep well at night.
          ⬇ Download stock pictures of Annapolis on Depositphotos ✔ Photo stock for commercial use - millions of high-quality, royalty-free photos & images

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X