• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letting agency trying to claim back extra rent (system issues)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting agency trying to claim back extra rent (system issues)

So long story.
    1.5 years ago i moved into a property which was £850 per month, lived there for a year and had a few issues which the landlord said he would pay back to me if i pay for the issues myself. Which i done.

The next month was then the end of my tenancy and I was offered to stay on for another 6 month tenancy.

I was sent a new tenancy through which stated my new rent is now £800 (So £50 less), I assumed this was payments for issues and fixes and our landlord just being fair.

5 Months later (today) I am almost at the end of my current tenancy and I have had an email from the letting agency asking why I am only paying £800 a month in which I basically replied stating that I am paying the Amount i signed for and returned for the letting agency to sign (which stated £800)

I have just received another email stating that I now owe £50 per month each month that I haven't paid the full £850 as it was a system issue that released the statement saying that my rent was just £800 a month and that i should have always been paying £850.

The issue i am seeing is my new tenancy that i received was signed by myself and sent back to the letting agency who then signed it and returned the completed and agreed tenancy to me. So surely i can't legally be forced to pay the £50 a month?

I hope this made sense. What do you think?
    Tags: None

Hello

Unless the letting agency operates a highly sophisticated AI system that is capable of maintaining itself, I can't see how there is a 'system issue'. Someone must have input the figure.

However, the starting point is that if the contract states £800 per month and signed by both parties then that is what was agreed. The onus is on the letting agency to prove that this was a complete mistake and you ought to have known it was supposed to be £850 per month. It's possible for you to have a defence based on the conversation with the landlord and therefore natural to think the repayment has been done via the reduction in rent.

In my view, it's the letting agent's fault and their issue with the landlord if the rental amount wasn't authorised. I would expect them to try and pursue you for it though a well drafted letter might put them off.

Have you responded to them yet?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the response. I have not yet responded to the agency. I don’t know if it’s worth mentioning I am letting the agency know in December that, that will be my last month and I plan to move out in January.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X