• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Work during tenancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work during tenancy

Please allow me to explain the back ground.
    Me and my friends are students renting a house, our tenancy starts on 10th of September. The landlord promises us to build one more bathroom in the house, and told us the bathroom can be ready before we arrive. However, we moved in on 16th of September but the bathroom were still in work, and finished on 20th of September, we took the key to live in the house on 18th because we have no where else to go. But we are angry about the delay and landlord lie to us, I wonder can we cancel the contract because of this delay of work? If we cant cancel the contract, can we be compensated and roughly what amount? Appreciate if someone can answer and help me out.
    Tags: None

Is this the same matter?
    https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...ct-by-landlord

Comment

Yes, that is a post from my friend, he cancel the contract before contract started, but I didn't as I was about to fly to the UK from my country, and I have no where else to go at that time. The layout and work to the house is not the same as we agreed on signing the contract. The landlord told me about the change few days before I arrive, and I took the key as I had no choises when I arrive. Can he says taking the key meaning I accepted the change, and can I still cancel the contract?

Comment

If your friend "cancelled" the contract with the owner of the premises - the "landlord" as you describe him, then that contract which required the work to have completed by a certain date, no longer exists. It follows that you cannot have any right of action against the "landlord".

It seems from your writing that your "contract", was not with the owner of the accommodation, but was with your "friend. If that is so, then you may have a right of action against your "friend" for his failure to provide that accommodation.

Comment

Hello, sorry I didn't decribe it perfectlly, me and my friend are tenants, we sign the contract seperately with the landlord, which means we sign the contract for our own room. My friend cancelled the contract, but I didn't as I didn't have anywhere else to go. So my question is that the landlord told us the work will be delayed few days before tenancy started, I didn't cancel the contract at that time, and I collect the key when I arrive, can I still cancel the contract now?

Comment

What part of YOUR contract for YOUR room, do you say the landlord has not complied with?

Comment

The landlord should add a bathroom to my room, which should be finished before 10th, the day my tenancy started, and he told me the work will be delayed and will be finished on 16th, when I moved in on 18th, the work was still on going and finished on 20th. I took the key and still live in the house so far, but I want to cancel contract now as all the roommates are different, some of my friends rented this house have canceled the contract before contract started. I want to do the same now, can I still cancel the contract and does taking the key on 18th mean I accept the delay of work?

Comment

Does YOUR contract for YOUR room, mention any cancellation clause? If it does, post the entire contract on here.

By moving in, before the work finished, you accepted the alleged breach by the landlord of his duty to install a bathroom, if such a duty existed at all.

There is much that remains unclear with this matter - your "friend's" postings directly contradict yours - notably your "friend" says that the contract with the owner of the premises was for a monthly payment of £5,200. It would seem that the truth of this matter is that your "friend" was in business, and intended to sub let each room to yourself and your fellow students.

How much are you paying in rent for your room and who do you pay that to?
                Last edited by efpom; 24th September 2019, 16:15:PM.

Comment

Hello, the house has 9 bedrooms, we were disscusing what to do by the time my friend post the question, so he posted the total rent for the house. Each room is £580 per month and roughly £5200 per month for nine bedroom, we pay seperately to the landlord. The contract has a term saying if the landlord can no longer let the house, he will pay each of us £500 as compensation, and the contract will end. There are 3 of us move into this house, he promised us all roommates would be students when we sign the contract last year(In text, not in contract, does this have legal effect?). But now he says he will let the empty rooms to profession or even use them as B&B, that is one of the reason we want to quit now, you mentioned Moving in means I accepted the delay of work so that I can't cancel the contract for that reason, how about he is no longer letting rooms to students as he promised he would when we sign the contract?

Comment

Your last sentence - that contract no longer exists. The only contract that is in play is the contract between YOU and the owner. That contract is for the use of one room.

You do not enjoy the right as a tenant of a singe room in a house in multiple occupation, to demand that the owner of the premises can only rent his rooms to a particular class of person.

There are only so many ways that I can explain this. I now bow out and wish you good luck.

Comment

I'm sorry my english is poor, what does your last reply means? Does it mean I can demand the owner to let other rooms to students as he promised in text? Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X