• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The hedge from hell!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The hedge from hell!

There is a hedge. It is a hawthorn hedge. It is about 15 feet tall. It encroaches onto more or less, the whole pedestrian pathway leading to the potential claimant’s home, and other householders – four in total The postlady and other deliverers, are threatening not to deliver, unless the hedge is cut back, and kept cut back.

Ownership and responsibility for maintenance and repair the pathway is the responsibility of those four householders.

According to the Land Registry, the hedge is on the land of another householder, whose frontage is NOT on the pathway and so that householder has no responsibility for maintenance of the pathway.

That householder has disclaimed any responsibility for cutting back the hedge, saying that it is NOT on his land.

What options do the four householders have?
    Tags: None

Easy way is those affected get together and cut the hedge the only other way may be legal with all the costs and hassle involved

Comment

Chainsaws....cut back to edge of path.... give cuttings to owner of hedge, or if he doesn't want them dispose of them in a responsible manner

Comment

Comment

I uploaded a picture of the hedge. The suggestions are useful, but places a burden on the householders, who are not ablebodied. So, to act on the suggestions to cut to the edge of the path, would mean that they would have to get together to hire and pay a contractor to do the work, at least twice a year. One quote at Ł2,00 was obtained. But, should they have to shoulder that burden? What is their legal remedy?

Comment

So the hedge is owned by the person who owns the land on which it grows
            That person has a duty of care to others and must take reasonable care not to cause injury to persons or damage to third party property.

First ascertain exactly who owns the hedge, and who is liable (owner or tenant if rented).
            You could then apply for an injunction requiring the responsible person to keep the hedge trimmed.

Don't suppose the council are interested? Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003

Comment

Des8 Brilliant answer - I would never have dropped to the legislation. In fact, the landowner has stated that it's the council's responsibility to trim the hedge, and has gone on to say that he will be asking the council to "do it's duty"!

Comment

Bugger - it's a hawthorn hedge - Part 8 only applies t evergreen or semi evergreen plants. Hawthorn is neither.

Comment

Although the path is privately owned and maintenance of the surface is the responsibility of the frontagers, is it also a public right of way?

i would still start with the highways dept of the county council (altho' you may be bounced around different depts!) and try and get them to sort it.
                  Even if they won't do the trimming, they might push the hedge owner.
                  Try and get your local county councillor involved as well.

Comment

No, it's not a public right of way. The rest of your advice is well worth trying.

Comment

As part of an ongoing issue involving a situation (which is not on or concerning my property.....a relative of mine asked for help re her situation), I was in contact with the local authority & gave an example of potential problems using a photo of my neighbors' 12/13m high screen of trees close to (but not actually astride) their boundary.
                      Last Wednesday, & for the first time in over 20 years, the offending screen was cut back to a more sensible height.
                      Coincidence?
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                      gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

The local council has accepted responsibility for the hedge and has undertaken to maintain it - the future will unfold, but meantime many thanks to all that responded.

Comment

I got a result - local council pitched up and did the work.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X