• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tenant with disabilities?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant with disabilities?

Hi
    Looking for some advise hopefully. We have rented properties out before, however I now have a elderly couple that have applied to rent my property.
    One of the couple has a disability ie wheelchair user. My question is the property in my opinion is not suitable ie they would not be able to get in the bath, could not get up the step to get into property without assistance. They have asked to rent the property but where do I stand legally if they then move in and cannot use the facilities. Would I be liable or have to accomadate there needs.
    As I would think there would have to be a couple of major jobs and say four or five minor jobs.
    Any advise greatly welcome.

Tags: None

Adaptations for Private-Renting Tenants

If you are a private sector tenant, you can request for adaptations to be made to your home. Permission needs to be sought from your private landlord for any adaptations. From December 2006, the Disability Discrimination Act (UK) introduced that a private landlord cannot refuse an adaption on unreasonable grounds. However, decisions will consider:
    • The nature of the adaptation you require; and
    • Whether your landlord is willing for the adaptation to go ahead.

Private tenants have the right to ‘auxiliary aids’. These are adaptations provided by your private landlord upon request and which do not involve physical changes to the property. Examples include:
    • a tenancy agreement in Braille, large print or Easy Read
    • a ramp for a wheelchair user
    • any special furnishings you need to use in the house, such as a stool in the kitchen to support you when you’re preparing food, or a raised seat for your toilet
    • accessible taps for the kitchen or bathroom
    • accessible door handles
    • signs (such as fire notices) in large print or Braille
    • a doorbell or entry phone system you can use more easily
    • painting doors and window frames a darker colour so you can see them more easily
    • equipment to help you access any other facilities available to tenants, such as a ramp so you can get into the garden or a wider space in the car park.

However private landlords can refuse to carry out adaptations if it involves high costs and a cheaper option is available, or if your landlord does not have the right to make communal alterations. There may be a conflict of opinion between you and your landlord in what is viewed as an ‘auxiliary aid’. For example, a guide rail can be seen as temporary and easy to re-install but, equally can be regarded as making physical change to the property. In situations where differences of opinion arise, you can enlist the advice and support of external organisations.

Comment

Hi
      Thank you. You have truely answered my question and my doubts.

Comment

Originally posted by netfast
        Hi
        Looking for some advise hopefully. We have rented properties out before, however I now have a elderly couple that have applied to rent my property.
        One of the couple has a disability ie wheelchair user. My question is the property in my opinion is not suitable ie they would not be able to get in the bath, could not get up the step to get into property without assistance. They have asked to rent the property but where do I stand legally if they then move in and cannot use the facilities. Would I be liable or have to accomadate there needs.
        As I would think there would have to be a couple of major jobs and say four or five minor jobs.
        Any advise greatly welcome.
        For reference https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...h-disabilities

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X