• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Owner of garages at bottom of garden threatening legal action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owner of garages at bottom of garden threatening legal action

Hi there,
    This is probably going to be a fairly long read, so I thank you in advance for any and all help but also advise you to get yourself a coffee!

Context:
    - In September 2017 I purchased my first home, it was built in the ~1930's and at the back rear of the garden it shares a boundary (single skin brick wall) with a set of garages built in 1967.
    - Prior to me moving in the owner of said garages power-washed the roof of his garages - They are white asbestos. There was a large cleanup operation and some of the neighbours took him to court over it. He lost the case and since then threatened neighbours saying he would "put fire doors into their gardens from the garages" and that he "owne
    - Before I moved in the gardens were given the all clear after the cleanup operation.
    - When I moved in it was apparent that there were issues with the boundary wall. 1) Bricks were crumbling. 2) When raining you could see water streaming down the wall. 3) The guttering was flexing and water was pouring out down the wall and pooling on the land against the wall. See image #1 in the imgur album for the brick damage.
    - I wished to discuss this, however the owner (Mr A) had not appeared until just over a month ago. (Mr A isn't actually the owner, as far as i can tell he transferred ownership to his Wife (Mrs B) and Brother (Mr C). They define him as "managing" the site, however when I asked him myself he said he owned it. They purchased the garages in 2002.)

Just over a month ago Mr A appeared at my front door and asked "Can we drop a ladder down from the roof of the garage and have a look at the guttering". I thought great, it'll finally get sorted. So he and another climbed on top of the garage roof, dropped his ladder down into my garden and un-clipped the guttering. 2 days later they put it back, nothing was different. It still flexes and does not function correctly. They didn't actually do any work to it.

A week or two later myself and all neighbours who's gardens back onto this wall (there are 5 of us) received a letter that Mrs B + Mr C had paid a solicitor to send. The contents of which roughly stated 2 things.
    1) They owned a meter of our gardens for what they claimed used to be an access path down the back of the garages.
    2) We were to remove all soil to below the DPC and our fence panels on this meter. As the Soil was causing damp issues and they intended to erect a fence along this meter. We would be liable for reparation costs.
    The solicitor explained to me that this was not any kind of legal action, they'd simply paid for a letter to be sent and told her what to write.
    I called the solicitor, explained the situation with the guttering being inadequate and in my opinion this was the main contribution to any damage. I sent a copy of my most recent Land Registry outline and also a copy I have of the outline from the 1930's (I have A LOT of documentation from the previous owners). They both match and show there is no 1 metre access path. I confirmed via google earth images (1999 is as far as i can go back) that there is no 1 metre access path present. Interestingly it looks like i'm missing 5ft of land according to measurements, but i'm not bothered about that.
    Since doing this they have not formally mentioned the boundary issue, and instead are proceeding to threaten action regarding the damp issue within their garages.

The next day I noticed Mr A climbing onto the roof once again and looking around. He spotted me watching him, quickly climbed down and came over. From here I began voice recording all conversations.
    The first thing I asked about was the boundary issue, to which he stated; "I don't think it's a metre, its more like 40-50cm". I was shocked, but remained polite and explained my concerns, he then asked if a surveyor could come over in an hour - I obliged.

The surveyor, Mr A and his Son came over shortly after (again i recorded this).
    The surveyor said a fair few things; "This was a Friday afternoon brickies job", "These [walls] have been thrown up", [the guttering] "looks like it has been like that for years", "I'd be interested to know why the DPC is at that level", "The roof is in a poor state", "you can see where the gutters bend".
    Mr A also said a few things; "These bricks are crap, they're the worst bricks you can buy", "When they built these they put the bricks the wrong way around, when i rebuild them i turn the bricks around", "I want to rebuild all the walls in June", "I'll fix that guttering".
    The conversation was interesting. It was evident that the soil on my side is higher than the DPC, and I do not dispute that, however I believe the DPC itself is too low as it is far below the land level on my and my neighbours sides. The gardens are level with our properties, and all of them are at the same level - I refuse to believe the idea that all of the previous owners decided to pour tonnes of soil into the gardens to raise the level by well over a foot.

I thought this would be the end of the matter as Mr A stated he wanted to rebuild the walls, when he said this the surveyor told him he should put blue bricks up to the level of the gardens to fix the problem.
    As a gesture of goodwill I dug my land away from the wall and to below the DPC. However a week later we were delivered a copy of the letter that the surveyor had sent to Mr A and Mrs B, the letter stated 2 options. Remove all soil within a 50cm border and 30cm below the DPC on our gardens and create a low level slabbed run-off, or Tank the wall.
    Given that the land is mine and i'd effectively be giving away a 50cm border, I assumed they would look at the tanking option, or simply rebuild as Mr A stated he wished to. However this does not appear to be the case.

My neighbour's uncle is a Master bricklayer and he came over to give his opinion; he stated that the single skin is inadequate, the bricks are very porous, the DPC was built too low, and the bricks have crumbled due to being weathered by running water. And so i'm certain this is a problem with the build of the garages (as the surveyor is recorded saying) and nothing else.

I've since had text message from Mrs B asking what I propose to do.
    I asked her to confirm if they are rebuilding the walls; she stated they will not do any work until the damp issue is resolved.
    I asked her if they will tank the wall, she said they will not tank it as they want the wall putting back to it's original condition at my expense or "we will go down the legal route".
    I asked her to meet with myself and my neighbours face to face so we can all discuss, or send Mr C to do so, she refused.
    I believe she is expecting me to provide them with the 50cm border on my land, and offer to pay for a full rebuild of the wall (I've counted roughly 50 bricks that need replacing, see image #2 in imgur).

I'm hesitant to get solicitors involved as I don't have the cash to afford a lengthy dispute. This is causing me a lot of stress now and I really need to look towards resolving it, but don't feel like I should be responsible for paying for what looks to be damage caused by a poor build, faulty guttering and lack of maintenance. I'm happy to provide access and even help with works that need to be undertaken, but the cost is not something i'm willing to pay.

Any and all advice is much appreciated and I thoroughly appreciate you taking the time to read this.
    Tags: None

The first point to bear in mind is that land/boundary disputes can become horribly expensive and stressful.

In your case it would seem the garage owners are really going to have a multiple problem if they propose the "legal" route as they will have to deal with five of you!
    Have your boundaries been determined? (https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ned-boundaries)

Unless they can prove determined boundaries their claim IMO is going nowhere.
    The builder of the garages appears to have built on the boundary line.
    There is no covenant on your registry title, I assume, regarding an undertaking to keep the height of your land below his damp proof course.
    If they were built below existing land level that is their problem, not yours.

Is there anyway there could have been access across all five gardens i,e, is there any evidence of gates between the gardens?

If water is flowing from his roof and guttering on to your property (and possibly damaging plants) request that he makes it good.
    If he refuses you could have the necessary work done and charge him.
    If he refuses to pay there is always county court.
    Now if all your neighbours have similar problem......

Not saying you would want to do that, but it might give you some leverage and show you will not be cowed and walked over by what seems to be a bit of o
    bullying family.

Comment

Hi Des,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

As far as I know there are no determined boundaries as stated in that link - I've actually asked for evidence each time I have been in contact with the Family in question and each time I do my question gets ignored or diverted. They're now saying "We need to sort the damp issue now, I haven't mentioned the boundary issue" every time I ask, even though in my opinion the two are related.
      Funnily enough, the second time i met Mr A he started talking about buying this 'metre' off of me if he had to.
      I am also of the same opinion, the garages are built exactly on the boundary line and have been done so in such a way that does not protect them from being backed up against a garden.

Mr A's entire argument is that when he was a child he can "remember" there was an access path at the back of the gardens (a direct contradiction to the people whom I purchased the house from, who grew up here), there is an access path on the opposing (far) side of his property, I believe this is there as the land on that side leads down to a train station, which I can see from historical images on google earth & Land Registry plans - but nothing of the sort on our side. I feel like he's attempting to use the existence of that path to bolster a fraudulent claim of the same on our side.

There is indeed no covenant of the sort.

There is no visible evidence of any gates between the gardens, the fence i am responsible for is about 3-5 years old and my neighbours must be over 10 - neither looks to have had any kind of gate.

That is an interesting point you raise, when I first moved in I did plant a lot back there however the majority of it died from being so submerged! In the recording I took while the surveyor was here, Mr A claimed he would sort the guttering the following week - however this has not happened.

It looks like explaining the issue with their claim, based on the boundary being what it is and placement of the garage itself will be my best bet - i'm fairly certain they won't have any evidence of the sort to counter it.

Your advice definitely helps put this into perspective, thank you very much indeed! You're definitely right, a bullying family indeed.

Comment

Do any of your neighbours have old photos which might show the back gardens 'back in the day'?
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi there,

Unfortunately we're all fairly recent in terms of move-ins, the longest any of us have been here is roughly 11 years if i'm recalling correctly.

However my neighbour knows the person who he purchased the house from and has asked for some.
          There may be some pictures from about 21 years ago that could help if they can be found.

Comment

Originally posted by BenMurphy View Post
            Hi there,

Unfortunately we're all fairly recent in terms of move-ins, the longest any of us have been here is roughly 11 years if i'm recalling correctly.

However my neighbour knows the person who he purchased the house from and has asked for some.
            There may be some pictures from about 21 years ago that could help if they can be found.
            That should do it!

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X