• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • LegalBeagles® is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

persciptive right of way

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • persciptive right of way

    hi at the back of my house is some land since 1990 ive been ustng it to drive my cars in to my garden the land belongs to my nextdoor but 1 neibour 2 years ago he blocked it off i have been using a solicitor and have spent 10,000 pounds so far we decided the easiest way was to enter into a easement but every time we go to sign they decide they want something else adding the latest is thry can end access at anytime for any reason .ifeel we are just wasting our time both me and my wife are dissabled with my wife getting dla weve run out of money now is there any other way we can deal with this our solicitor is not very helpfull now thry know the money is running out and they say the only way is to go to court but it will cost 40000pounds thanks
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Hi and welcome

    Presumably this lack of access is causing an inconvenience for you and your wife.

    As you have already had solicitors working on this matter for some time I doubt we will be able to add much.

    You refer to a prescriptive right of way.
    Was this access route used "as of right" i.e. openly, without force and without permission.?
    Was the previous owner unaware he owned that strip of land?
    How did you manage to use it without permission (open or implied)?


    • #3
      yes we used it openly the owner knew he ownded it he never bothered till new people moved in to the street which he didnt like .it is just a small cul de sac and parking at the front is near inpossable which means we have to park on the main avenue and walk down i would persue in court if there was any funding available .my solicitor believes i would win but i cant aford 40000 to do this thanks


      • #4
        The recent case of Welford v Graham: UTTC 14 Jul 2017 would seem to support your case, but if you don't have the funding do the other side have the funds to oppose you?
        I suppose your only way forward is to continue negotiating with them in the hope you can come to a mutual agreement.
        Good luck


        View our Terms and Conditions

        LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

        If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

        If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


        No announcement yet.

        Court Claim ?

        Guides and Letters

        Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

        Find a Law Firm