• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Changed rental due date and pro rata payment/notice to quit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed rental due date and pro rata payment/notice to quit

HI everyone.

I need to move out of my flat next month and I am confused about something.

I started renting my flat on the 22 May 2015, which is the date the tenancy commenced. This was initially an assured shorthold tenancy of 12 months duration. Ever since this ended it has been a statutory periodic tenancy. My rent has been £695 per calendar month for the last few years

At first my rental due date was the 18th of each month. In January 2018 I changed jobs and asked if I could make my rent payments on the 1st of each month, in line with my new pay date. The letting agent told me the landlord had agreed and they advised they would set it as the 5th of each month to give time for the funds to clear.

The letting agent issued an addendum to the initial tenant agreement, signed by me and the landlord, which states:

Tenant has requested to change his rent due date from 22nd of each month to 5th of each month.
    Pro rata amount for the 11 days from rent due date to new: £252.01

My rental payment in February 2018 was therefore £947.01 (the pro rata payment and the £695 rent).

At the time asking to make an extra payment to bridge the 'gap' made sense, but now I am not so sure if it does since the dates of the rental period month to month has not changed. As far as I understand my tenancy rental period has not changed from the original AST, which is 22nd-21st of the month. So if I want to move out next month, I'd have to give notice by 22nd February and my last date at the property would be 21st March (in line with the original contract dates). So my last rental payment will be on the 1st February and this will over the period 22nd February - 21 March.

I am now wondering where the £252.01 fits into this all, and if I should ask for it back?

Sorry if any of this is confusing!
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X