• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Deposit issues with agent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deposit issues with agent

Good evening all,

somewhat of a complicated one here.

first off I’m in Scotland and was renting a property through a letting agent from the period of February 2017 to November 2018.

i attempted to initiate the deposit return at the end of the tenancy to find it had been returned from the deposit scheme in May 2017 (3 months after I moved in) to the letting agent holding account. According to the letting agent I initiated this although I have no proof I didn’t and I didn’t think this could happen without mine and the letting agent/landlords authorisation.

after finding this out I had to make numerous calls to the letting agent to chase this over a course of over two months. Fast forward to January 2019 and I originally agreed to allow the landlord back 150 and have 350 returned to me. This was due to me not cleaning the carpets after I left which I had agreed to do. The landlord was demanding more which I point blank refused to do due to the issues not being present in my opinion.

since the deposit was not in a scheme anymore and the original scheme refused to take it back (according to the agents) the letting agents were negotiating the process between myself and the landlord. After countless phone calls and chase ups where they failed to get back to me on numerous occasions we eventually reached an impasse and they sided with the landlord giving him 225 and me 275. The agent said during the call that they had to put the property on hold while this was resolved and were ending it by making this decision despite my protests and they advised me to take independent legal action if I now disagreed with this decision.

Im really just looking for advice here. Surely since they have a financial interest in the landlords business they shouldn’t be able to make this decision and should’ve hired a third party to mediate it? (Like I suggested)

i was going to involve tier 1 support but if necessary I’ll bypass them if there’s reasonable cause and get a lawyer involved.

can anyone offer any input?
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X