• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Who is liable for the contents of the fridge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is liable for the contents of the fridge

The person is in Scotland so I am assuming Scots Law must apply but not sure when it comes to housing.

He lives in a rented flat (private landlord agency). They supply the white goods and various other furnishings throughout the house. As per guidelines they have electricians etc up to test the appliances every year.

Last night the frudge/freezer stopped working completely. All the contents are ruined. Including his life saving injections.

The fridge/freezer has a stamp on the back of it under the serial number with the date of 2004 on it.

Who is liable for this?
    Tags: None

On the face of it, I would say he is liable for his own contents.

White goods are not expected to last forever so it is inevitable that they will eventually die out. If the landlord has tested the appliances in accordance with their legal obligations, I can't see how the landlord can be held liable.

My thoughts are:

1. Why didn't the tenant take out insurance which covers fridge contents?
    2. If the tenant knew he had to store life saving injections, did he make the landlord aware or did he enquire about the state of the fridge and its age?
    3. Could the tenant not have purchased his own fridge for peace of mind that it was in a new condition?

Pending any specific Scottish law, the chances of holding the landlord responsible is probably too remote. It is the tenant's responsibility to look after their contents and belongs and to ensure they are adequately insured, that's not the landlord's job.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

hence the need for contents insurance for tenant to purchase to cover personal goods/belongings (Cheap enough), landlord has building cover, as above cannot see a case here as all reasonable steps have been made with annual inspection for fridge etc.

Comment

Thank you for clarifying this. Much appreciated.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X