• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Capital Gains Tax Liability?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capital Gains Tax Liability?

Hello, I am not sure if this is in the right board, please feel free to move it if not.

My partner is divorced although the financials are still being finalised.

My partner owns her own house (the ex marital home) in her own right, she is the only party on both the mortgage and deeds.

Her and her ex bought a bungalow as an investment and rented it out to his mother. They are both on the mortgage and both on the deeds.

When the marriage broke down he moved in to the bungalow and this is his own home now although my partner still remains on both the mortgage and deeds.

It is likely that when the financials are finalised the bungalow will have to be sold in order to release some of the equity. Although the bungalow is the main residence of the ex would it still be seen as a second home for my partner and thus attracting CGT?

Many thanks for any input you can give!

Reptile
    Tags: None

Quite simply - Yes.

The house she is living in is her only or main residence and I assume the other property was never so nominated.

In the circumstances she will be liable to CGT on her net gains once the property is sold.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X