• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Seeking Clarification of Hearsay in Small Claims Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Clarification of Hearsay in Small Claims Court

Hi All

OK, i'll keep it as brief as possible.

I am in the process of taking a garage to court. My claim is that they fitted a part unnecessarily and without authority. I had to pay the bill in order to get the car back.

Trial is later this week. DJ in his directions has allowed my expert witness to appear etc., so no problems with my side of things.

My question is this:

I predict that the owner of the garage will turn up. However, i have never met the owner in any of my dealings. I dealt with one of his mechanics.

Can the owner say in court "my mechanic told me this" or "my mechanic said that" etc. Or should oral evidence of that nature be disallowed?
    Tags: None

Re: Seeking Clarification of Hearsay in Small Claims Court

Hi muttley, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

I am making an assumption here that this is a 'small claims' matter.

If so, unlike other 'tracks', the strict rules of evidence do not apply - Civil Procedure Rule (CPR) 27.8(3).

However, the 'weight' given to evidence, particularly if the 'originator' of that evidence is not present in court for cross-examination, probably will be minimal at best.
    However, if the mechanic makes a written statement under oath, that will be treated a bit more seriously.

It is, of course, the judge's prerogative to allow/disallow whichever evidence he/she sees fit.
    Last edited by charitynjw; 14th July 2013, 23:49:PM.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Yes not to say that you cannot object to any evidence given, as not being from the horses mouth so to speak.

Comment

I believe there is generally there is generally a reluctance (in other tracks & higher courts, a prohibition) regarding hearsay evidence.

But there are exceptions.

Res gestae, or excited utterance, is one. - R v Andrews [1987] 2 WLR 413.

I believe the 'test' for validity/acceptability concerns whether there is a possibility of concoction, how contemporaneous it was to the event, how closely linked the statement maker is to the involved parties, & how dramatic the event was.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X