• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Capital contribution order from Marston after trial ended - Huge Bill!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capital contribution order from Marston after trial ended - Huge Bill!

Yesterday I received a Capital contribution order letters from Marston.

This is after me and my husband (who is in prison right now & until apr 25) were convicted in crown court over six months ago. He was initially arrested in May 2020 and then was on bail until Sept 2023. The trial was at the end of Sept 2023 where he was taken to custody directly from court.

The letter is regarding the legal aid costs. Me and My husband both had separate solicitors who in my opinion hardly did much work. The breakdown of the cost given on the letter is as following

For my case - Total over £81,000 (approx)
    Barrister £21k & solicitor £60k

For my husband's case - Total - over £40000 (approx)
    Barrister £20k & solicitor £20k

From solicitors, we were always told that the legal aid is free because our income is low. We were never made aware that there would be this huge bill due to us owning the property that we live in. I just had a call with my husband's solicitor and she still was confused why we received this invoice so clearly she had no knowledge about this and hence never explained it to us.

How is it possible that the bill for the solicitor who did more work is less compared to the one hardly did any work for us? Is there anything I can do about this on the basis of them not making us aware of this cost. I might have taken a different approach if I had been made aware that this would end up costing more than a private solicitor.

Is there anything that can be done about? I am so stressed out right now that I am unable to think properly and do the normal work as my mind cannot think anything else other than this.
    Tags: None

Hi John12111

Welcome to LB

In a 'nutshell' what was the case about?

Your solicitor should have carried out an assessment as to whether you were entitled to Legal Aid.

You need to complain to your solicitor / firm in writing, follow the complaints procedure on their website.

Once you get a response, if you aren't happy, complain to the Legal Ombudsman Service.

https://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Hi John12111

Welcome to LB

Firstly, in a 'nutshell' what was the case about?

Your solicitor should have carried out an assessment as to whether you were entitled to Legal Aid.

You need to complain to your solicitor / firm in writing, follow the complaints procedure on their website.

Once you get a response, if you aren't happy, complain to the Legal Ombudsman Service.

https://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/
      The case was about POCA

They did carry out an assessment and due to our low income we were eligible for the legal aid.

They never once mentioned that there will be a huge invoice after the case is finished.
      Last edited by john12111; 28th June 2024, 12:10:PM.

Comment

Then you should complain: first to the solicitors, and if need be after that to the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

POCA, for those who may not know, is the Proceeds of Crime Act.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by john12111 View Post

The case was about POCA

They did carry out an assessment and due to our low income we were eligible for the legal aid.

They never once mentioned that there will be a huge invoice after the case is finished.
          Yes, they carried out an assessment, but the eligibility criteria is clear and they seemed to have missed 'your property'.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

Yes, they carried out an assessment, but the eligibility criteria is clear and they seemed to have missed 'your property'.
            I see, so if they had done the assessment properly then they should have told us at that time the consequences of going with legal aid? Is the complaint with solicitors and SRA the only option?

Comment

Originally posted by john12111 View Post

I see, so if they had done the assessment properly then they should have told us at that time the consequences of going with legal aid? Is the complaint with solicitors and SRA the only option?
              The 'consequences' has occurred because, as you stated in your initial post, they didn't take into account your 'property' (the solicitors seemed unaware of the property being part of the 'Legal Aid' criteria).

You can also complain to the Legal Ombudsman Service.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X