• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Accessing someone else's emails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing someone else's emails

I know that it is a criminal offence to open mail addressed to someone else, but I need to know if it is also a criminal offence to open then delete someones emails and texts.
    Would it come under - Interception and Disclosure of Messages - Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006
    Tags: None

Re: Accessing someone else's emails

Originally posted by CYNthesys View Post
    I know that it is a criminal offence to open mail addressed to someone else, but I need to know if it is also a criminal offence to open then delete someones emails and texts.
    Would it come under - Interception and Disclosure of Messages - Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006
    Are these e-mails etc. on a shared computer? Password protected?

nem

Comment

they were on a personal computer, dont know if they were password protected, visitor to house accessed then deleted them

Comment

Hi CYN

Re opening mail, it is only an offence if it is done intentionally without reasonable excuse & with the intent to act detrimentally.
        http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/26/section/84
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

thanks charity
          they were opened and deleted to the recipients detriment.

What would be the legal remedy, think its a criminal offence, but Police will no doubt pass the book and say its a civil matter.

It would be a different matter if my friend was rich and famous, she is just a struggling mrs nobody

Comment

CYN, my post #4 concerned land mail, not emails.
            My fault, I should have clarified that!
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

It would depend on what loss was suffered as to whether or not it was worth trying to make a claim.

Has there been any attempt to restore the deleted messages?
              Google "recovery of deleted emails"

Comment

My friends so called "friend" owed her some money. Repayments were agreed via email and text
                When her "friend" was visiting ,my friend was distracted and her "friend" deleted these texts and emails from my friends phone/computer.
                Needless to say friend hasnt been repaid

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure what attempts have been made to restore emails and texts

Comment

Do you know how much was involved (ie is it worth pursuing it?)

Was the money given in cash, by cheque, transfer? (in other words any proof?)

Was any one else aware of the loan?

Are the text messages still extant and would they support a claim? (post 1 only referred to emails on a computer)

Comment

Believe it was over £1000, understand it was cash, text messages have been deleted, but her "friend" admits to deleting them

Comment

Hi Cyn,I know this person that you are talking about, and i've seen the pc and mobile.The contents on the e- mails are her admittance of the debt and how she intended to pay back. access to the e-mails was easy because the password is saved by google. The mobile was hacked into and more or less the same information that was on the e-mails plus an apology for going into the pc all that information was deleted, The make of the mobile is a samsung (not an andriod ) samsung have been contacted to see if the contents of the inbox can be retrieved they said no and they cannot help.

Comment

The one guest that's watching could possibly be her

Comment

The amount of money that she owes is almost £3.000

Comment

Half of that was by cheque made payable to the owner of the house as a bond and the first months rent.I'm not sure but the rest of it could have been by cash, i'll try and find out

Comment

If it was cash, was it drawn out of an account? Withdrawal of an unusual amount would be supportive.

If the debtor is now disputing/denying the debt, action can still be taken to initiate a claim.
                              When it comes to it in court it is the balance of probabilities (or who the judge believes) that wins,
                              Did anyone else (besides debtor and creditor) know of this loan, see any of the emails/texts?

Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, makes it a criminal offence to gain access to material which is stored on a communication system without a search warrant or a "production order", either of which has to be approved by a judge.

Crossed with Oporto, whose recent posts make a civil claim quite attractive if debtor doesn't come to her senses.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X