• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My stressful county court claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My stressful county court claim

Dear all,

I am beginning to feel stress at an insurmountable level.

I have a somewhat slack solicitor who told the other side we would be willing to consider the terms of a settlement this afternoon. This solicitor then vanishes from the office without reason.

The other side sent us a detailed legal/settlement documents (e.g. a Tomlin Order) at around 4:30 pm asserting that the offer is only valid until 5:00 pm. Seriously?

This solicitor is also meant to assisting me with redrafting my Particulars of Claim and is also meant to be assisting with a skeleton argument. This solicitor has been on notice of this for over a month and I have not had so much as a single written word. from him The documents are due on Tuesday.

Any advice/input appreciated.
    Last edited by heisenberg; 6th May 2016, 17:52:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: My stressful county court claim

The other side has made an offer of settling the matter purely on accepting they will not make an application for costs (which I suspect they will not be granted in any event). The key terms of settlement, however, which trouble me are as follows:

"[The Claimant] agrees that the terms of this Agreement shall be in full and final settlement of all and any claims that [the Claimant] has or may have against [the Defendant] or any of [the Defendant's] members, psychotherapists, psychotherapeutic counsellors, representatives, principals, agents, officers, directors and employees whether past or present, actual or contingent, known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, arising from or in any way relating to the Litigation and the subject-matter of the Litigation or otherwise. For the avoidance of doubt, such settlement shall include any costs orders made in the Litigation to date."

Does this mean that I would be revoking my right to bring any claim that arises through facts post-dating this agreement i.e. if I suffer discrimination post-dating this agreement in respect to the parties named above? On the face if it, it seems I would be agreeing to that as the above terms seem to be subject to wide interpretation. It is the phrase "may have" that troubles me as with extending the terms to involve all and sundry (almost all of the psychotherapists and counsellors in the country).

I don't really think they are doing me any favours in this proposed settlement agreement in any event.

Comment

Are they offering enough money to settle this so you will not take any further action?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
        Are they offering enough money to settle this so you will not take any further action?
        Not a penny.

Comment

Another question:

I have brought a number of heads of claim under one case. If I refine the Particulars of Claim and narrow the issues/number of claims could I be liable for costs?

The Defendant has failed to engage in the pre-action protocol and has failed to file a defence to date. The case is yet to be assigned to a track (I anticipate the small claims track).

Comment

Does anyone know if I can sign the settlement papers and e-mail them back to the other side or do I need to send them in the post? I need to sign the Tomlin Order and another document and have another witness sign this document 'acting in my presence'.

I am concerned that I need to file and serve legal documents on Tuesday and want to wrap it up before then.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X