• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Victimisation or not victimisation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Victimisation or not victimisation

Originally posted by heisenberg View Post
    That's all a matter of opinion. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Similarly and ultimately, Judges are exercising theirs when enforcing the law and it seems they can't even agree with each other as judgments are quashed all the time.

Even the House of Lords made a real mess of Parliament's intent under the DDA 1995 and the concept of disability-related discrimination i.e. in the case of Lewisham LBC v Malcolm [2008] UKHL 43.

Arguably, the judiciary made such a complicated mess of the various anti-discrimination laws that Parliament felt obliged to harmonise everything under one Act.

Common sense = good sense and sound judgement in practical matters. Is that not we rely on our judiciary to have? :tinysmile_twink_t2:
    Perhaps it comes down to whose or which counsel argues the best for their client as to the effect that that decision has on future cases. The EU is responsible for the Equality Act too...ie principal of proportionality and legitimate aim are EU provisions that come from EU Treaties.

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
      Perhaps it comes down to whose or which counsel argues the best for their client as to the effect that that decision has on future cases. The EU is responsible for the Equality Act too...ie principal of proportionality and legitimate aim are EU provisions that come from EU Treaties.
      Indeed. So if you are poor and unrepresented (like me) you are in a very vulnerable position particularly as judges are mindful that a represented party is more likely to present a successful appeal than a LiP. Also, as charitynjw has correctly mentioned, you are lucky to get a word in as a LiP in the first instance.

One wonders what will happen if the UK leaves the EU - I suspect the statute will be in tatters.

Comment

Indeed. So if you are poor and unrepresented (like me) you are in a very vulnerable position particularly as judges are mindful that a represented party is more likely to present a successful appeal than a LiP. Also, as charitynjw has correctly mentioned, you are lucky to get a word in as a LiP in the first instance.

One wonders what will happen if the UK leaves the EU - I suspect the statute will be in tatters.
        If you're an LIP and you are not getting a word in, ask the judge why is it that a disabled person such as your self in a free country with democratic institutions such as courts and the rule of law is not being afforded a fair hearing. Is Thomas Bingham's lecture on the rule of law and allusions to democracy just rhetoric? I wouldn't say this in court but perhaps in writing to the judge.

Comment

If you're an LIP and you are not getting a word in, ask the judge why is it that a disabled person such as your self in a free country with democratic institutions such as courts and the rule of law is not being afforded a fair hearing. Is Thomas Bingham's lecture on the rule of law and allusions to democracy just rhetoric? I wouldn't say this in court but perhaps in writing to the judge.
          Haha... I would probably get the Judge's back up if I tried that. Seems a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't....
          Last edited by heisenberg; 26th April 2016, 10:51:AM.

Comment

I think we all feel the same way about justice for those unable to pay for a good Solicitor or barrister as far as im concerned its a old boys and girls exclusive club unless you are willing to fight almost to the death against an ancient system of them and us forget it

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
              I think we all feel the same way about justice for those unable to pay for a good Solicitor or barrister as far as im concerned its a old boys and girls exclusive club unless you are willing to fight almost to the death against an ancient system of them and us forget it
              You're almost beginning to sound as bad as me. :tea:

Comment

See no evil?

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                  See no evil?

See no justice too. out:

Comment

Haha... I would probably get the Judge's back up if I tried that. Seems a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't....
                    On the contrary, it's how you word things, if you go in all guns blazing you'll have no sympathetic ear. Smile, be courteous... show respect to the judge, the court staff, the lawyers. Being assertive does not mean being unpleasant, antagonistic, emotional. The rule of law is live but the LIP generally does not know or understand that it is a basic constitutional right in free countries with democratic institutions? How do you think disability including equality law comes about, by persuasion over the course of time.

Comment

On the contrary, it's how you word things, if you go in all guns blazing you'll have no sympathetic ear. Smile, be courteous... show respect to the judge, the court staff, the lawyers. Being assertive does not mean being unpleasant, antagonistic, emotional. The rule of law is live but the LIP generally does not know or understand that it is a basic constitutional right in free countries with democratic institutions? How do you think disability including equality law comes about, by persuasion over the course of time.
                      Duly noted.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X