• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Time limits to issue claim - failure to make reasonable adjsutments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time limits to issue claim - failure to make reasonable adjsutments

Dear all,

It would seem a failure to make reasonable adjustments (section 20 of the Equality Act 2010) is arguably a continuing act and therefore not subject to a 6 month time limit to start proceedings in a County Court. Does this mean that one can issue a claim 6 months after the other side has ignored or disregarded a request to make reasonable adjustments?

The only case law (to which a County Court may be bound) I could find is Tyagi v BBC World Service [2001] IRLR 465.

Many thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Time limits to issue claim - failure to make reasonable adjsutments

Interested to know what reasonable adjustments were not made and by whom?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
      Interested to know what reasonable adjustments were not made and by whom?
      This one is a little complicated. It involves or involved an NHS Trust responsible for my care and treatment.

I did seek advice from a legal aid solicitor and the matter has also become a little complicated there. They only partially advised me and that part of their advise was so brief and unclear I couldn't understand it. They essentially said that the NHS treats everyone poorly so I have no potential claim against them (so, because the NHS treats a lot of people poorly this firm seems to be suggesting they can discriminate with impunity).

This firm is also one I served a letter before action on (as set out in another thread). They are also now alleging a 'breakdown' and I am left rather perplexed by their 'advice'.

Obviously, I won't be mourning the loss of not being able to instruct this firm in future.

Comment

Originally posted by heisenberg View Post
        Dear all,

It would seem a failure to make reasonable adjustments (section 20 of the Equality Act 2010) is arguably a continuing act and therefore not subject to a 6 month time limit to start proceedings in a County Court. Does this mean that one can issue a claim 6 months after the other side has ignored or disregarded a request to make reasonable adjustments?

The only case law (to which a County Court may be bound) I could find is Tyagi v BBC World Service [2001] IRLR 465.

Many thanks in advance.
        & your comparator is............?
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
          & your comparator is............?
          No comparator needed for a section 15 or section 20 contravention. I think the solicitor who 'advised' got himself in a bit of a muddle and certainly left me confused. The firm are refusing to revisit this even after raising a series of complaints and serving a letter before action on them.

To cut a long story short there was an alleged 'breakdown' after I raised a complaint against a consultant. The consultant first asserted it was 'inappropriate' to see him again after I raised a complaint against him (contrary to GMC guidance). The Trust concede this is not standard practice therefore I have been treated less favourably than a hypothetical comparator.

After sending the Trust a letter before action they now contend (and re-jiggle their defence somewhat) that the 'breakdown' was fully justified as they allegedly failed to address my concerns. This, I feel, is a serious case of putting words in my mouth to justify unlawful acts/discrimination.

Comment

This one is a little complicated. It involves or involved an NHS Trust responsible for my care and treatment.

I did seek advice from a legal aid solicitor and the matter has also become a little complicated there. They only partially advised me and that part of their advise was so brief and unclear I couldn't understand it. They essentially said that the NHS treats everyone poorly so I have no potential claim against them (so, because the NHS treats a lot of people poorly this firm seems to be suggesting they can discriminate with impunity).

This firm is also one I served a letter before action on (as set out in another thread)
            . They are also now alleging a 'breakdown' and I am left rather perplexed by their 'advice'.

Obviously, I won't be mourning the loss of not being able to instruct this firm in future.
            No comparator needed for a section 15 or section 20 contravention. I think the solicitor who 'advised' got himself in a bit of a muddle and certainly left me confused. The firm are refusing to revisit this even after raising a series of complaints and serving a letter before action on them.

To cut a long story short there was an alleged 'breakdown' after I raised a complaint against a consultant. The consultant first asserted it was 'inappropriate' to see him again after I raised a complaint against him (contrary to GMC guidance). The Trust concede this is not standard practice therefore I have been treated less favourably than a hypothetical comparator.

After sending the Trust a letter before action they now contend (and re-jiggle their defence somewhat) that the 'breakdown' was fully justified as they allegedly failed to address my concerns. This, I feel, is a serious case of putting words in my mouth to justify unlawful acts/discrimination.

Who are you planning to claim against?

Both?
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Who are you planning to claim against?

Both?
              The firm has made me an offer of £100 (peanuts I know). I am minded to accept that as I could do without the additional grief.

I am just considering my position against the Trust at the moment. I am concerned that any such claim may be struck out as it may be arguable that it is out of time. If it gets struck out I understand that I am at high risk of being at the wrong end of a Costs Order.

Comment

The firm has made me an offer of £100 (peanuts I know). I am minded to accept that as I could do without the additional grief.

I am just considering my position against the Trust at the moment. I am concerned that any such claim may be struck out as it may be arguable that it is out of time. If it gets struck out I understand that I am at high risk of being at the wrong end of a Costs Order.
                When (date, or date of final act) did the alleged discrimination occur?
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

When (date, or date of final act) did the alleged discrimination occur?
                  This goes back to January 2015 so quite a while ago. I would have to rely on arguing a continues or continuing act of discrimination.

Comment

cccc
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

cccc
                      Indeed.

Comment

This goes back to January 2015 so quite a while ago. I would have to rely on arguing a continues or continuing act of discrimination.

Why 'continuing'? - you'd have a difficult job arguing that, because it happened on xx date, it continues forever.

The usual tack they would try is 'discrete' occurrence or occurrences.
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Why 'continuing'? - you'd have a difficult job arguing that, because it happened on xx date, it continues forever.

The usual tack they would try is 'discrete' occurrence or occurrences.
                          I think if I can successfully argue that there is a continues failure to make reasonable adjustments then I would overcome that hurdle. I think the same applies to any continues practice, policy or procedure that causes an issue.

Comment

I think if I can successfully argue that there is a continues failure to make reasonable adjustments then I would overcome that hurdle. I think the same applies to any continues practice, policy or procedure that causes an issue.
                            Imho I reckon they would defend to the hilt - 'silks' would be coming out of the woodwork.

& re your comment about costs - the bill could be ferocious (even down here, the streets aren't paved with gold - as I found out a few years back!)
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Imho I reckon they would defend to the hilt - 'silks' would be coming out of the woodwork.

& re your comment about costs - the bill could be ferocious (even down here, the streets aren't paved with gold - as I found out a few years back!)
                              Yeah, that is my concern. Throwing a 'silk' into a small claim does seem like overkill but I wouldn't put it past the NHS. All paid for by the taxpayers like you and me of course.

They may only get some legal costs if the claim is struck out though that would be at the discretion of the Judge.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X