• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Possible discimination issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible discimination issue

Firstly I want to apologise if I put this in the wrong place, I'm newly registered here (done a bit of reading before). I'd also like to point out I'm not looking for money or compensation here, but it's the broader problem I have trouble with.

Thirdly I'm transgender, and my voice does not necessarily match up with my name. I've had a number of issues with this in the past (being hung up on, being told to get the "actual account holder" to ring back etc) but my phone provider, last year, managed the worst of it. I managed to ring up a bill of several hundred pounds, I knew what happened immediately and at no point ever claimed I didn't owe the money, but there was no way I'd have it all to pay off in one go.

I sat in one of the company stores and spoke to the staff about what was going on, and they agreed to ring up CS and speak to them for me. This guy, on the other end of the phone, asked to speak to me to confirm who I was. I got as far as saying "hello" before he decided I couldn't possibly be who I was, there was no chance it was right, and I needed to show the store staff ID to go any further. I did, the store staff backed me up several times, but he kept insisting "credit cards are not identification" (whilst this may be true, I've never actually had any credit cards). Eventually I went outside for a smoke before I exploded, came back in, the store manager spoke to me and I explained what had happened...

And we rang up, again, got speaking to someone else, and got the whole thing sorted out. They eventually gave me the opportunity to pay back the debt in fortnightly installments, and all has now been paid off.

However, the company in question has never actually apologised for what happened. There was never any sort of acknowledgement of "hey we screwed up and we're sorry". I get this attitude a lot and sometimes I have to wonder if it's worth pushing, but if I'm being denied access to any sort of accounts (phone, utilities - the bank and I have an ongoing saga where at one point they were flagging my account for fraud roughly every 6 weeks, but they've finally knocked that on the head, I hope), is there anything I can do bar just sitting there and letting it happen every time?

For several reasons, btw, I can't have hormone therapy or surgical intervention. I'm stuck with the voice I've got.
    Tags: None

Re: Possible discimination issue

I would look up the chief executive of the company and write an email in regards to this including times and dates and specifically referring to the difficulty of speaking to someone because your voice and your name are different to what you might expect.

http://www.ceoemail.com/

They will deal with that and you can provide specific details so that perhaps they might want to add a codeword to the account so that the operator does not simply hang up on you or maybe a specific person to send a query to if you have one in the future.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X