• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Am I entitled to my late husbands inhetitance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I entitled to my late husbands inhetitance

I was married to my husband and have a daughter who is now 19 years old
    My husband died in 1996 when our daughter was 5 months old
    His family had nothing to do with us after his death as they did not agree with the biracial relationship which ours was
    We have had zero contact with them
    Recently my husbands father died and left two wills
    One was not witnessed and I believe they had to revert to an earlier will that was
    In this will my husband was left a quarter of his fathers asserts
    While this does not add up to much and my husband had 3 other children from two other women before me none of whom he married
    I know the family will not give either myself nor his daughter anything
    Am I or my daughter entitled to anything and if so how do I go about receiving it as I know my husband would want me to
    Tags: None

Re: Am I entitled to my late husbands inhetitance

Hi and welcome

Sorry to say that where a beneficiary pre-deceases the testator, the bequest lapses and you have no entitlement to it.

There is an article discussing it here http://www.tanfieldchambers.co.uk/re...of-beneficiary which also discusses some special cases - it would appear that your daughter MIGHT have some claim on the estate. (Look at the 2nd type of case in the article.)

Be warned though, probate disputes appear to be some of the most contentious and expensive types of litigation that there is. Your daughter needs to think very carefully before embarking on any legal challenge.

Comment

Hi and welcome.
      Unfortunately from your point of view if a beneficiary dies before the testator,the general rule is the gift lapses.
      However section 33(1) of the Wills Act 1837 provides that where a legacy is made to a testators offspring who predeceases the testator , then
      if there are children of the beneficiary those children will inherit their late father's share.
      So basically your daughter is entitled to a share in her father's inheritance, as are his other children.

1. Crossed with Steve (again!)

Comment

Thank you that is good news as I was going to split it between the children anyway so it looks as if they will each receive a share of their dads money, good outcome.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you both, we wont contest it if they don't share it equal but it is nice to know the children are entitled to a share each.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X