• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Experts: The Burden of Proof

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experts: The Burden of Proof

http://www.law-now.com/DirectMail/%7...proofaug13.htm

Experts: The Burden of Proof

In Caribbean Steel Company Limited v Price Waterhouse, the Privy Council has recently reiterated the principle that for a court to find that a professional had breached his duty of skill and care, expert evidence ought to be adduced from persons in the same profession as the defendant as to the standard of care required in the particular case and the defendant's failure to reach that standard.

Background

This case concerned the purchase in the early 1990s by the claimant of a 50.1% share in Caribbean Cable Company Limited which produced construction materials in Jamaica. The claimant’s accountants, Price Waterhouse, prepared a valuation in advance of the purchase. This valuation treated a J$13,849,000 surplus in Caribbean Cable’s pension fund as an asset and did not mention that Caribbean Cable had already borrowed J$1,400,000 from that pension fund. The claimant alleged that Price Waterhouse were negligent in failing to bring this fact to its attention and that it would have materially affected the purchase.

The claimant was successful at first instance but Price Waterhouse successfully appealed to the Jamaica Court of Appeal. The claimant appealed to the Privy Council.

Decision

The Privy Council dismissed the appeal agreeing with the Jamaica Court of Appeal’s finding that the first instance judge had not given due regard to Price Waterhouse’ expert evidence.

At first instance, Price Waterhouse’ expert had opined that the J$1,400,000 loan from the pension fund was immaterial to the valuation. The Jamaica Court of Appeal and the Privy Council found that the claimant’s expert had given no reasoned rebuttal. It was essential that the reasons given by the expert for reaching his opinion were carefully scrutinized; for unless there was a sound reason for rejecting it, the judge could not properly find that professional negligence had been established. Sansom v Metcalfe Hambleton & Co was cited by both the Jamaica Court of Appeal and the Privy Council.

Comment

This decision affirms the principle that compelling and coherent expert evidence is necessary for a finding of professional negligence.

Further reading: Caribbean Steel Company Limited v Price Waterhouse [2013] UKPC 18; Sansom v Metcalfe Hambleton & Co [1998] PNLR 542
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Re: Experts: The Burden of Proof

Cheers for that one, Nobby. I had to dig deep into me Ganja stash, but it's OK now. Everything will be OK...

Comment

Re: Experts: The Burden of Proof

Irie!
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X