• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice re. Appeal in Small Claims Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice re. Appeal in Small Claims Court

OK, i'll keep it as brief as i can...

Assisted friend in taking local garage to court. Claim was for unauthorised and unnecessary part fitted to his car. He lost.

Specifically, he claimed that no contract existed to supply and fit the part, and that it was not needed to be fitted.

In their defence, the garage admitted in writing that they "decided to change the part", i.e. no authority sought.

I attended the trial. The DJ spent the whole hearing establishing that since the part would have received an advise in an MOT, that if it didn't need replacing now, it would do soon.

My friend raised the contract issue, i.e. the lack of authority 3 times. The DJ ignored him.

The DJ made no reference to the finding re. authority in his judgement in favour of the garage.

Following judgement, he was asked about the contract issue, and he simply said he did not have to discuss and said good bye.

IMHO, the DJ did not address the substantive issue, i.e. the existence of a contract.

I have read that an appeal can be made if a) the judgement was wrong, or ) there was a procedural error.

Does not addressing the claim count as either a or b?
    Tags: None

Re: Advice re. Appeal in Small Claims Court

Have you read this?

http://www.insidetime.org/resources/...urtService.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by muttley View Post
      The DJ spent the whole hearing establishing that since the part would have received an advise in an MOT, that if it didn't need replacing now, it would do soon.
      The reasoning is absurd.

Comment

Indeed, 'Would do soon' means it did NOT need replacing then. If it would have been an advisory, it was roadworthy. If a garage changed something without my consent, I'd be fuming. It is known to be good practice to phone the customer and seek permission in these circumstances.

Comment

Ab absurdo, as CC might say!
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X