• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Do the Police have to return Cash found during a search?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the Police have to return Cash found during a search?

Hi

I live in a house that was my grandmother's and forms part of her estate (grandfather was already deceased).

My lodger was arrested for quite a serious offence. My first knowledge of this was when the police raided the house with a search warrant and arrested him. They took me to a police station and questioned me. They spent 2 days searching the house and I was not able to return until this had been completed. I had no knowledge of his offence though was asked to be a witness if needed. He has pleaded guilty and is awaiting sentence.

When the police searched the house they took several of my own items i.e. laptop and x-box etc. At a second intervie the police said they had found a large amount of money in a shed in the garden and after enquiries were satisfied that it belonged to my grandparents. We had not got round to looking through the shed after my grandmothers death before the police raid and my grandfather was inclined to hide cash as he only ever used cash and did not keep much money in the bank. We found cash stashed in various parts of the house and had no idea there was any in the shed.

My question is should the police return the cash when they release the rest of my belongings? As this forms part of the estate would the executors have to request the return? They never told me how much money was found.

Tags: None

Re: Do the Police have to return Cash found during a search?

Did your late grandfather launder money for the Yorkshire Mafia?

(AASQGASA msl

Comment

Hi Poppy,

The answer to your questions is yes, the police must return all property belonging to anyone not connected with a crime, unless the property forms part of the evidence. In your case, your personal property must be returned in a timely manner, if the police have no lawful reason to retain it. Other than that, the police must seek direction from a judge as to what to do with any property.

As for the money found, yes, the executors would need to request the money be returned as they are responsible for administering your grandparent's estate. This should be done in writing and a signature obtained from the police on receipt of the letter. The letter should be addressed to the Force HQ.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Poppy79,,,glad I'm not the only one whose relatives hid money all over the place,,my late father and mother in law did too..........loads of places and 45kilos of sugar in a wardrobe

Comment

You don't mention what crime was committed but it may well end up with the authorities pursuing the cash under Proceeds of Crime especially as it appears that you knew nothing about the existence of the cash.

To say that the Police MUST return this cash seems a tad over confident with the information we have been given.

Quite frankly, I find it suspicious that anyone (older who don't trust/like using banks) hides large amounts of cash in insecure places such as an outdoor shed. More likely to have been hidden in the house.

I suspect there's more to the money in the shed.

Comment

Originally posted by Salmon Man View Post
            I suspect there's more to the money in the shed.
            Such as the drugs cache under the floorboards and the crystal meth lab under the potting bench?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
              Such as the drugs cache under the floorboards and the crystal meth lab under the potting bench?
              Just about sums it up for me.

Comment

Whilst I can understand the cynicism..it does happen. I'm sure the money will be forensically tested to ensure it has no connection to the arrested person

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                  I'm sure the money will be forensically tested to ensure it has no connection to the arrested person
                  That's simple enough - just mist the notes with ninhydrin (link) in acetone to develop the fingerprints.

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                    Whilst I can understand the cynicism..it does happen. I'm sure the money will be forensically tested to ensure it has no connection to the arrested person
                    It will not matter, the Police have had enough to gain a search warrant to the property, and the home owner cannot account for the cash, and unless they can account for the cash and prove it did not come from the proceeds of crime then it's going to be a difficult one to ever see that cash.

Comment

Originally posted by poppy79 View Post
                      Hi

I live in a house that was my grandmother's and forms part of her estate (grandfather was already deceased).

My lodger was arrested for quite a serious offence. My first knowledge of this was when the police raided the house with a search warrant and arrested him. They took me to a police station and questioned me. They spent 2 days searching the house and I was not able to return until this had been completed. I had no knowledge of his offence though was asked to be a witness if needed. He has pleaded guilty and is awaiting sentence.

When the police searched the house they took several of my own items i.e. laptop and x-box etc. At a second intervie the police said they had found a large amount of money in a shed in the garden and after enquiries were satisfied that it belonged to my grandparents. We had not got round to looking through the shed after my grandmothers death before the police raid and my grandfather was inclined to hide cash as he only ever used cash and did not keep much money in the bank. We found cash stashed in various parts of the house and had no idea there was any in the shed.

My question is should the police return the cash when they release the rest of my belongings? As this forms part of the estate would the executors have to request the return? They never told me how much money was found.

????

Comment

Grandmother knew Ken Dodd? :rofl:

Comment

Or Harry Redkapp's dog.

Comment

The offence had nothing to do with drugs or stolen property, the money had been there a long time as it was in notes no longer in circulation and the age of the envelopes it was found in which is what satisfied the police it was nothing to do with the case.

My grandfather did not trust banks, and no one in the family including my grandmother knew or suspected he had hidden money in the shed. It was secured with several locks and had an alarm system. We had not been able to find the keys after his death which was very sudden. They had only been found 2-3 months before the police search when we took down some old cupboards.

The money was from the sale of a house he inherited a year or two before his death. We had always thought there should have been more money but had assumed he had spent it.
                            Last edited by poppy79; 9th March 2013, 15:48:PM.

Comment

No such thing as 'eccentricity' then? People do the strangest things.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X