• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Copyright Law question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Copyright Law question

I think with the wedding Valkyries and the funeral songs there is a brilliant new thread in there!

Am very interested in the exact law regarding music copyright and performance; it was my understanding that strict copyright laws apply to recorded, broadcast and published work but not necessarily live performances of work that is "in the public domain"? Can someone elucidate please?
    :ymca:

Comment

Something in the back of my brain is telling me that as long as the performance is not EXACTLY as the original (slight word changes etc) then it is ok to perform it in public.,,but that might not be right so don't quote me (yet)

Comment

Now that's really interesting because I have a sort-of-in-the-mind that it's Ok as long as it's faithful to the original and fully accredited! Doh:doh: We need a sheepdog Inca! Elo...i...se....! x

Comment

[QUOTE=MissFM;313103]Now that's really interesting because I have a sort-of-in-the-mind that it's Ok as long as it's faithful to the original and fully accredited! Doh:doh: We need a sheepdog Inca! Elo...i...se....! x[/QUOT

One of us might be sort of right then lol......

Comment

tee hee Inca - anything that is a paradox is bound to be right!:hippie:lol x

Comment

No idea - now way out of my comfort zone. But at a rough guess (knowing the way the law thinks) you are probably both right! I would lay bets copyright exists whether you play it faithfully to the original or not! In the back of my head, I seem to recall a case where someone wrote a song or a piece of music and the beginning, just the beginning, was kind of almost the same as another, and they got sued for copyright!

Comment

My question is (partly) whether old rockers playing at festivals, pubs and parties - playing old favourites etc and (eg) buskers are really breaching any laws by playing the "classic" rock/folk/blues/pop nos. without express permission from the originators?

Where (for example) would karaoke stand on this? Or people using backing tracks?

I know it all changes once you start recording/broadcasting - well, I say I know but I don't really when it comes to it! :sing:

Comment

I have to admit,,should any songwriter hear me singing their song they would be perfectly justified in sueing me for breach of everything cos my tender vocals are truly truly horrific,the stuff of nightmares..ask Bill,,I aint called Foghorn Leghorn for nothing,,,I say for nothing lol

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                    My question is (partly) whether old rockers playing at festivals, pubs and parties - playing old favourites etc and (eg) buskers are really breaching any laws by playing the "classic" rock/folk/blues/pop nos. without express permission from the originators?

Where (for example) would karaoke stand on this? Or people using backing tracks?

I know it all changes once you start recording/broadcasting - well, I say I know but I don't really when it comes to it! :sing:
                    The issue is public performance - not how you publically perform (or how well you do it!). Copyright lasts for 70 years on music, You should be fine if it was written before, say, 1940!. But Inca may be ok if nobody can recognise the tune!

Comment

we could get a pub singer to do a couple renditions of AC/DC, should be OK as no one will have a clue what he's singing Lol

Comment

​I'll come along and do a few dittys for ya Swifty,,,was a time when my 'Enter The Sandman' could clear an entire pub

Comment

My wife loves that song, couldn't do that to her. but thanks for the offer.
                          I had a mate that could empty a pub and he didn't even have to sing, he loved sprouts.

I've had a reply back from MU HQ:
                          You can get a ‘limited manufacture’ licence for the song-writing / publishing rights and also the rights in the recording from MCPS, which gives you the right to use any music on a DVD:http://www.prsformusic.com/users/rec...cence(LM).aspx

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,

Naomi MacDonald
                          Recording and Broadcasting Official
                          Secretary to the Music Writers' Section

MU HQ
                          60 - 62 Clapham Road
                          London
                          SW9 0JJ

Comment

Oh - I can see a whole new turn to this thread now as half the posters realise that that holiday DVD they made and inflicted on the family and friends, work collegaues, the church group, and complete strangers walking down the street was an infringement of copyright - and that's before we start on weddings, funerals and bar mitzvahs!

Comment

Quite - are you honestly saying that every old rocker hammering out the blues at parties or every young pup playing the Stones in pubs and clubs or every teenage girl shrieking Adele at festivals is breaking the law?:eek2::llama:

Comment

The pub or club will usually hold a license from the PRS to cover live performances. The individual or band would not need their own license in this circumstance, similarly with Karaoke.

If the venue is not licensed, whether the performance is live or playing recorded music, it requires a license if it is to be performed or played outside of a normal domestic dwelling.

There are a few exceptions as mentioned on the PRS site linked above.
                                Last edited by labman; 1st February 2013, 19:43:PM. Reason: Tautology

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X