• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Copyright & The Internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copyright & The Internet

I have recently had a copyright issue with an item I published on my own site. After 11 years the author (who I did credit with the work) contacted me and told me off, basically. No problem I said, yes, I did however try and contact your publisher on numerous occasions, they did not even bother to reply. The secretary was probably doing her nails.

We settled the situation quite amicably and I must admit he was very understanding. But, in reply to a question, he replied no answer from publishers is not enough, it should still not be published. OK fair enough. But, I copied an old book published by a publisher who no longer exists and by an author who is long dead. The book was falling apart so I scanned it into my pc, it took some time I'll tell you! The published date is 1860, so my question is Can I publish online? Not as my work, but as historical info?

The whole question of copyright and the internet is very vague. The internet, to my mind, is the property of the people. you pay for your pc, you pay for the access, you pay for the internet, so its yours! I do WW2 and local history research and publish results accordingly. I get emails from all over the world sending me stuff that has a strong family relevance to the topic in hand. Sometimes these include newspaper cuttings from whenever, family photos (which I can obviously use) and even information on X, Y or Z. How am I to know if its from a publication or not?

I received an article from the son of an inventor a while back, it detailed how his father had invented a device in WW2 which the Americans claimed was their invention, which was actually British (a bit like the computer actually!). I published his email in the relevant page and then got a nasty email from a German site claiming that I had pinched THEIR article. WHAT! The item came from the family!!

The way I see it, is this: if someone publishes online, as I do, it becomes the property of the people. If publishers do not like this DON'T publish online. SIMPLE! When I get an email asking to use something, I say help yourself, thats what its for.
    Darkness is only the absence of light; ignorance is only the absence of knowledge.
    Tags: None

Re: Copyright & The Internet

The main problem (or source of fury) for any originator is if there is no attribution. Payment is also nice!

Comment

In this case I did attribute, as I do with all my stuff with reference links. Pay? What with, its just a hobby.
      Darkness is only the absence of light; ignorance is only the absence of knowledge.

Comment

As a designer much of one's living comes through royalties and reproduction - of course the internet complicates all that, making things more difficult. However, to be asked firstly for permission, to be given credit and to have control over the quality of reproduction (ie don't change or redact without express approval) are paramount. On top of that - it is the way we earn our living and to use it without permission is actually theft.:nod:

Comment

Originally posted by elbmek View Post
          I have recently had a copyright issue with an item I published on my own site. After 11 years the author (who I did credit with the work) contacted me and told me off, basically. No problem I said, yes, I did however try and contact your publisher on numerous occasions, they did not even bother to reply. The secretary was probably doing her nails.

We settled the situation quite amicably and I must admit he was very understanding. But, in reply to a question, he replied no answer from publishers is not enough, it should still not be published. OK fair enough. But, I copied an old book published by a publisher who no longer exists and by an author who is long dead. The book was falling apart so I scanned it into my pc, it took some time I'll tell you! The published date is 1860, so my question is Can I publish online? Not as my work, but as historical info? YES you can and no one can raise an objection.

The whole question of copyright and the internet is very vague. The internet, to my mind, is the property of the people. you pay for your pc, you pay for the access, you pay for the internet, so its yours! I do WW2 and local history research and publish results accordingly. I get emails from all over the world sending me stuff that has a strong family relevance to the topic in hand. Sometimes these include newspaper cuttings from whenever, family photos (which I can obviously use) and even information on X, Y or Z. How am I to know if its from a publication or not?

I received an article from the son of an inventor a while back, it detailed how his father had invented a device in WW2 which the Americans claimed was their invention, which was actually British (a bit like the computer actually!). I published his email in the relevant page and then got a nasty email from a German site claiming that I had pinched THEIR article. WHAT! The item came from the family!!

The way I see it, is this: if someone publishes online, as I do, it becomes the property of the people. If publishers do not like this DON'T publish online. SIMPLE! When I get an email asking to use something, I say help yourself, thats what its for.
          I agree with you totally, that what internet was at the beginning but now that it became just another way to make money governments, lawyers and big buck businesses are involved and determined to control it and our use because it is so DANGEROUS; for example, the present forum where untrained folks share information and go on to win against a Goliath ("fly a bird", as our American cousins would say).

Comment

oh I totally agree Miss FM. I have a published book, I made nothing from it. It was for the challenge of having one in print. My point is not that the author is wrong, but the fact that people publish things on the internet, which as I said, to my mind, is public property, even beyond the call of governments to kill it. And then scream at people who copy it in whole or part, albeit it with credits. IF a person copied something and claimed it as their own, ok fair game. The author who recently contacted me did so not because I had placed his name with credit to the piece but because it was part of a greater whole in which part of it had been written by me, and I inadvertently added written by me before his credit. In reply and in thanks for his permission I asked him if he had written anymore, if so, I would add all his books onto the site in tribute, which I did. Thanks alham.

Ref to an earlier question, can I publish an 1860 volume online? I will of course admit its not mine - I am not THAT old!!

Comment

elbmek - still love your signature quote.
              I fear people like me are indeed dinosaurs and can no longer make a living lol :deadhorse:

Comment

move over!! :behindsofa:

Comment

Originally posted by elbmek View Post
                  oh I totally agree Miss FM. I have a published book, I made nothing from it. It was for the challenge of having one in print. My point is not that the author is wrong, but the fact that people publish things on the internet, which as I said, to my mind, is public property, even beyond the call of governments to kill it. And then scream at people who copy it in whole or part, albeit it with credits. IF a person copied something and claimed it as their own, ok fair game. The author who recently contacted me did so not because I had placed his name with credit to the piece but because it was part of a greater whole in which part of it had been written by me, and I inadvertently added written by me before his credit. In reply and in thanks for his permission I asked him if he had written anymore, if so, I would add all his books onto the site in tribute, which I did. Thanks alham.

Ref to an earlier question, can I publish an 1860 volume online? I will of course admit its not mine - I am not THAT old!!
                  Yes you can, it is way out of copyright, anyway that what amazon and google are doing right now with books published way later.

Comment

danke much

Comment

I believe copyright on a work lasts 50 years after the death of the autor. However if a publisher republishes a work with new noters and introductions then despite the majority of the text being over 50 years old the book is counted as a new work with a copyright life of 50 years. (the copyright on peterpan was extended to 100 by act of parliment as all royalties go to ~SSt O rmaonds street hospital . )

Comment

I like the all details and info by Miss FM.. I have read already a book with this topic. So I clearly say this about Internet & Copyright.. I was also confuse before reading the book.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X