• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

court date 29Jan13

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• court date 29Jan13

Hi, I have a question for knowledgeable people here but first a brief history;

I was driving home one night in dec 2010 in temp of -6 on a particularly icy road on a dual cariageway. A vehicle that had been involved in a earlier accident was stopped in the fast lane. I entered into the scene of this accident at about 10-15mph, following three other vehicles seperated by 50-100m, when one of the vehicles involved in the earlier accident pulled forward and then directly accross the road in front of me. This was on a road surface that was sheet ice, the vehicle stopped perpendicular to the kerb as it attempted to mount the kerb but was unable to do so due to the ice. I was powerless to avoid a collision and my vehicle was an economic write off.

Having been led to believe by my no win no fee lawyers that I had a clear case and liability was entirely with the third party the advice on liability suggests a court would find me 50% liable and I have been advised by my lawyers to make a 70/30% offer (that is I am 30% liable)

The third party's claim to their insurance states that my accident was part of the earlier accident and happened at the same time but their witness statetment to the court is that my accident and the earlier accident were seperate events. The third party states that they made three observations before moving their vehicle but did not see my vehicle (even though I was there to be seen), the advice on liability concludes they did not look before moving.

If the third party accepted liability I would receive compensation for a neck injury, be reimbursed my out of pocket expenses and my insurance would refund me £1500 in policy excess and loss of no-claims discount.

But if the 70/30% offer is accepted I will only get 70% of the injury compensation and out of pocket expenses, the claim will however remain on my insurance (everything else is incidental, it is the liability I am fighting for)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated but the question I want to ask is:

Is it too late to change the law firm handling this case for me to one that more eagerly represents my best interest rather than their own? As already mention 70/30% offer made and court date (if it gets that far) 29Jan13.
    Tags: None

Re: court date 29Jan13

Why mention of a court date? Are you being prosecuted? Or is this a civil claim, and if so, by whom? Who are the 'three parties' involved?

In the meantime, consider sacking your lawyer (check the T&C's though, there may be penalty clauses). Also note that insurance companies now usually 'trade' knocks, with a view to making the customer pay for everything. Justice has nothing to do with it.

Comment

I mention the court date to show I don't have a great deal of time.

I have brought a claim against the third party (i.e. the other person???) as it is my opinion (and indeed the fact) that they caused the acident I was involved in. The defendant's legal representatives are arguing that I am partially to blame for driving too fast (ahem! 10-15mph) and have made a part 36 offer of 50/50.

This is in line the the "advice on liability" however the advice on liability was prepared my someone who works for the legal firm which is representing me. A confilct of interest me thinks.

I have asked the law firm representing me to re-examin the advice on liability and justify its' conclusions and have asked them if I am able to seek another firm to represent me.

My side have now withdrawn the 70/30 offer and written to my insurers (of the credit fee agreement) to ask if they will continue to insure my claim if we take it to court.

It's never a good sign when you have to fight your own legal team as hard as you fight the other sides but I firmly believe that I did everything I could to drive safely and the cause and therefore liability in this case lies entirely with the third party.

Comment

I would be very interested to see how you get on. I have had two bad weather 'crumps'; the last 12 month ago. Neither were my fault but the insurance company (former insurance company) told me they HAVE GOT to attribute blame - I disagree. There is no such thing as blame in this respect unless you count the councils who had not gritted in the first instance, and had not cleaned up the spilt diesel in the second. Car insurance in the UK sucks, they are happy to take your premiums but not pay out. I am now paying double insurance for two episodes that I had absolutely no control over.
        Darkness is only the absence of light; ignorance is only the absence of knowledge.

Comment

The fact is that, even if there is no blame attached to you, they still weight the premium at renewal time.

(love your signature elbmek)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X