• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Fees query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Fees query

I have a couple of friends who share a rented house. They are not related and have house shared for many years.
    They recently moved to new accomodation and are having trouble getting their bond back from their previous landlord.
    They are thinking about issuing proceedings in the small claims court for the return of their joint bond, but one of them is in receipt of guaranteed pension credit and the other is in full time employment. Would the full court fee still be payable?
    Tags: None

Re: Court Fees query

BUMP

Comment

http://www.mensaid.com/documents/fl/ex160a.pdf

Comment

Thanks Enaid. Page 2 seems to be pretty clear you're exempted - see Para. 2:-

" You will be exempt from paying a fee if :

2. you or your partner receive Pension Credit guarantee credit. "

Comment

They are not partners as such, just friends who house share.
          I think partner is defined as a spouse, or a couple who are in a relationship

Comment

The key word in reading that is "or," I reckon, Cyn. No 'partnership' as such - just house-sharing - I accept that. And I believe the EX160 does, too, by using 'or' as opposed to 'and.'

Problem then is - if only one claimant is receiving Pension Credit, then only one claimant gets exemption. Can the one claimant claim for both signatories to the rental agreement ? I suspect that there is a "Jointly and severally" liability clause in there, and therefore it will imply (hopefully) that EITHER signatory to the agreement has an obligation to ensure that the terms of the agreement are fulfilled. By the same token, they should be afforded a reciprocal right, I believe. The one signatory is regarded as representing the entire party to that agreement.

I'm no lawyer, as you know, but that seems to stand up in court to me.

I write cheques on our joint account. So does Mrs-K. If I complain about a bounced cheque that Mrs-K signed, I am 'privy' to the dispute - as a co-signatory.

Comment

Yeah partner refers to spouse or couples

http://utahcriminaldefenders.com/

Comment

I concur, the full fee will be payable if both friends are starting the dispute. But they will get the fee back anyway from the losing party.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X