• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Amazon marketplace chancers (Distance Selling Regulations)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon marketplace chancers (Distance Selling Regulations)

I hope this is the right forum for posting this (apologies if it isn't!), but I am in need of some advice on what to do with a bunch of scammers.

I bought an electronics item from Amazon, which, according to the addie had a specific chip (US maker) in it for enhanced functionality. When I received it, it turned out that it was made by some Chinese company and had nothing whatsoever to do with what was initially advertised. I complained straight away and demanded a full refund, including the cost I am going to incur for sending this useless piece of technology back to the people who sold it to me.

They accepted there was a mistake, but refused to give me a full refund until they receive the item. Now, according to the Distance Selling Regulations, I am not obliged to send this item back to these people until I get a full refund, which includes the cost of sending it back (at least that is my understanding of it by reading various sources).

Another reason for me to be reluctant to send this item back to them is because the address this people gave me as their "business" address is a self-storage (this is a limited company, whose registration address is that same self-storage address - I thought P.O. Box type addresses were not accepted as company registration addresses at Companies House?). Not to mention that the "invoice" I received from them had no company name, no address, no company number - absolutely nothing whatsoever which identifies that company or the people who sold me this item. There was a googlemail address at the bottom of it - nothing else!

I dug my heels in and refused to send this item back until I get a full refund to my credit card. I investigated this company further myself (went to Companies House) and it turns out that it is run by two Pakistanis, and the company itself is less than a year old.

The addresses given for the 2 directors of that company are a bit dodgy (different owners of the property at that address, I am about to check the Electoral Roll to see if these people are registered there), so what I thought initially - to chase these people up with letters and take legal action, if needed - might not work as it would be like chasing a ghost.

I did write to them a while ago (2 weeks before the 30-day limit for getting a refund expired) and sent this letter to their self-storage address via recorded delivery though. The letter was received (and signed for), but I had no reply, unsurprisingly!

Another route I went in the meantime is to go after Amazon as they advertised this item on their web site (albeit via their private "marketplace"), took my order, and, finally, took the money off my credit card when I made the purchase.

Although there is a specific "A-z Safe Buying Guarantee" which entitles me to get my money back, this does not cover the return costs for sending it back, which isn't good enough for me.

When I pressed Amazon to get a full refund (including the costs of sending this item back), I've got the following answer:

6. Amazon's Role

While Amazon helps facilitate transactions that are carried out using the Service, Amazon is neither the buyer nor the seller of the seller's items. Amazon is not an auctioneer, neither is it an intermediary between the buyer and the seller. Amazon provides a venue for sellers and buyers to negotiate and complete transactions in accordance with the provisions of this Participation Agreement. Amazon is not the agent of either seller or buyer in their dealings with each other and has no authority to legally bind either of them. Accordingly, the contract formed at the completion of a Fixed Price Sale is solely between buyer and seller. Subject to any assignment under clause B.6.3, the enforcement of any contractual obligations arising out of the completion of a transaction using the Service is the responsibility of the buyer and seller that are party to that transaction. Amazon is not obliged to mediate between buyers and sellers or enforce or execute fulfilment of any contract. Because Amazon wants you to have a safer buying experience, Amazon provides the Amazon A-z Guarantee in clause C.1 below, but otherwise buyers and sellers use the Site and the Service at their own risk. Subject to the terms of this Participation Agreement, the seller will resolve any subsequent dispute directly with the buyer, or under the Amazon A-z Guarantee described in clause C.1.

This "participation Agreement" is available in full here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...nodeId=3216781

So, in other words, Amazon is washing their hands off it and I am getting nowhere with the original seller.

What should I do next - should I write to Amazon, or pursue the matters through the courts with the original seller? Grateful for any help and advice received. Thanks!
    Tags: None

Re: Amazon marketplace chancers (Distance Selling Regulations)

Hello Sarah and welcome to Legal Beagles.

In view of what you have uncovered, I feel your first port of call should be your local Trading Standards Department. They can provide you with any advice you may need, but, also, you have information which may be useful to TS who may have received other complaints about this outfit. Speak to TS, in the first instance. If you need any further advice, come back onto this thread.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

With distance selling, you are automatically allowed to return the goods if they do not meet your expectations, as you simply do not get the chance to see the item before purchase. To the best of my knowlegde, there is no legislation for the seller to provide a refund until they receive the good back, or you could say my toaster doesnt work, claim a refund and keep the perfect item and have a toaster and the refund.. if you get what i mean.

From what I know of Amazon, they are basically a market place and their attitude is, dont blame the market, blame the stallholder!
      I would suggest if you are at all dubious of the original seller, to contact the OFT and ask for their advise.

Comment

Thank you bluebottle and puffrose. I'll contact OFT and see what they have to say, though I am a bit sceptical.

As far as my cancellation rights, this is what OFT's own Guidance to Suppliers has to say:

Refunds (Regulation 14)
        3.46 When do I have to refund a consumer's money if they cancel an order?

As soon as possible after consumer cancels, and in any case within 30 days at the latest. You must refund the consumer's money even if you haven't collected the goods or had them returned to you by the consumer. You cannot insist on the goods being received before you make a refund.

3.48 What specifically do I have to refund to the consumer if they cancel?

The DSRs require you to refund any money paid by or on behalf of the consumer in relation to the contract to the person who made the payment. This means the full price of the goods, or deposit or prepayment made, including the cost of delivery.

Returning of goods following cancellation (Regulation 17)
        3.57 if the goods are faulty or do not comply with the contract, you will have to pay for their return whatever the circumstances.

From where I am sitting, it is pretty damn clear that these scammers should not impose any conditions on me returning the goods in order to get a refund, isn't that so?

Comment

here is a link to distance selling regulations - http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...iD9Oe_8_T2TIzA

I would have thought that the trading standards people should also be able to help if you are being treated unfairly in accordance with distance selling as Bluebottle has already suggested.

As well a direct complaint to Amazon about one of their sellers as they are the middle man so to speak and their customer services team who I believe are Scotland whould be able to help you. They are not an easy company to contact but when you do get hold of someone they are very helpful as they were when I took up a complaint with them.
          Last edited by TUTTSI; 24th July 2012, 22:41:PM. Reason: added

Comment

Thank you TUTTSI, I've just downloaded this document and will have a good look later on.

Do you know how to contact Amazon customer services team (in Scotland?) to complain as, in my view, they are as culpable as the seller in this instance (all this nonsense with their "Participation Agreement" just doesn't wash with me)?

As I indicated in my initial post, I am reluctant to engage in futile ghost-chasing activities with the 2 Pakistanis, so the two viable solutions left, as far as I can see, is to pursue matters with Amazon or get in touch with OFT and ask for assistance.

Comment

I cannot find the telephone number but got this from the site Returns and Refunds

If you need to return an item to us, please follow the links, I think I filled out a form and they contacted me. Mine was related to money they had taken on a prime somesomething or other and I eventually got back 4 years subscriptions of about £200 and they were quick in dealing with it. But they are a bugger to get a phone number to call them. I have deleted the link as it comes up with my personal details so you should try and work your way through from your own amazon account.

Originally posted by SarahConnor View Post
              Thank you TUTTSI, I've just downloaded this document and will have a good look later on.

Do you know how to contact Amazon customer services team (in Scotland?) to complain as, in my view, they are as culpable as the seller in this instance (all this nonsense with their "Participation Agreement" just doesn't wash with me)?

As I indicated in my initial post, I am reluctant to engage in futile ghost-chasing activities with the 2 Pakistanis, so the two viable solutions left, as far as I can see, is to pursue matters with Amazon or get in touch with OFT and ask for assistance.
              Last edited by TUTTSI; 25th July 2012, 21:43:PM.

Comment

woow!!Can I also start my own marketplace???

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X