• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legal Interpretations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Interpretations

In legal parlance can these phrases be interchangeable?

"pending a review"

"subject to a review"

They have been interchanged in a recent case in which I was involved. I would argue that this is a misinterpretation. Would I be correct in that argument?

I would also be interested in anyone elses experience of surprising interpretations presented by the masters of the craft of intelligent argument.
    'I don't see why everyone depends on me. I'm not dependable. Even I don't
    depend on me, and I'm me.'
    Tags: None

Re: Legal Interpretations

I was hoping that someine would have a view on this. Can anyone help me out?

Comment

Although I am not a legal professional (I am, in fact, a retired law enforcement professional) and there are more learned LBs, to answer your question, the term "Pending A Review" can be interpreted as meaning to be awaiting a review, whilst the term "Subject to A Review" would tend to suggest something is conditional upon a review. You would be best to seek professional legal advice and I would recommend you contact your local Law Centre where you can obtain free legal advice.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

That's correct - "pending " means awaiting a certain condition to be fulfilled (i.e. review) for the outcome to definitely happen, whilst the "subject" means that something may happen if the review is agreeable.

Comment

Unless the usage of the wording significantly affected the outcome of a case, I wouldn't be surprised to see these terms and their differences in interpretation being called 'de minimus' by opposing counsel.
          "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

I shall set this in a fuller context and see if that makes my argument clearer.

In this instance an authority were obliged to undertake a specific action, the terms are outline below:-

"85. From the date of transfer, the co-ordinated
            support plan is deemed to have been prepared by the receiving education
            authority. Subject to any review they may initiate, (which they may do
            immediately if they consider it necessary or expedient as a significant change
            in the circumstances of the child or young person) the new education authority
            are bound by the terms of the co-ordinated support plan and the plan must be
            treated in the same way as any other co-ordinated support plans prepared for
            children and young people in their area. Any review will be subject to the
            provision in section 10 of the Act and in the Regulations."

My argument is that this paragraph states that they were required to deliver the terms (bound by the terms) of the plan until a review had been undertaken.

The opposing view is:-

"The Additional Support Needs Code of Practice makes it clear that the receiving
            Education Authority adopts the CSP and takes such steps as it can to implement
            it pending a review process."

To paraphrase they have interpreted that the authority are only required to deliver what they can until a review has been undertaken.

I appreciate that this is not a consumer rights issue but I think the interpretation matter is something that you guys appear very able to pass comment on. I am just trying to establish if I have a point of argument worth debating.

Your opinions have been helpful and very much appreciated. I would be very pleased if anyone was able to offer further commnet on the fuller context.

Comment

My understanding and interpretation of that paragraph is absolutely in agreement with your own.

Their interpretation is flawed. If they only have to do 'what they can' till a review, that is a licence for unlimited non compliance.

The paragraph states that they must adopt the CSP until a review dictates differently?
              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

So in this context it would not be valid for the opposing counsel to call it "de minimus"?

Comment

No because apart from anything else...I'm assuming this has not yet been to court. Pls correct me if wrong.

If this 'flawed' interpretation was the trigger for court, it would effectively be your cause of action, so could not be regarded as de minimus in any way.

Comment

Hi,

Are you by any chance in Scotland?

Comment

yes i am

Comment

At what age is the transfer taking place?

Comment

He was 13

Comment

So the transfer being discussed is primary to secondary school. Did the LA seek and take account of relevant advice and information from other agencies no later than 12 months before the transfer took place? This would have involved the relevant external agencies as well as the parent and child.

I'm just trying to establish if things were done correctly prior to the transfer, as the plan may be fundamentally flawed in any case if the correct procedures were not followed.

Comment

The transfer was between secondary schools and education authorities, there is no dispute over the competency of the transfer or the plan, it was simply that the receiving authority did not engage any of the defined external support in the plan (known as appropriate agencies) our son failed in light of this lack of support and they then excluded him for the responsive behaviour that was a symptom of the lack of the prescribed support.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X