• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Private sale gone so wrong :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Private sale gone so wrong

Originally posted by peterbard View Post
    Oh dont stay out of it you know how i miss you.

As far as the court is concerned ................
    OK Peter, as you miss me I'll come back in one last time!

Just to say I'm glad you've come round to my way of thinking that the buyer should be going to court! That's what I said ages ago. :beagle:

Comment

Sorry darling but you are wrong the sellar showed the height of rudenes by either distroying the buyers goods or accepting payment and not supplying the goods.

Peter

I am so shocked you have said that. I have CLEARLY stated the suite was GIVEN AWAY FREE as couldnt possibly have been resold due to state it was in and also I had been contacting the buyer NON STOP VIA TEXT AND CALLS. All of this can be proved on my part.

I have since yesterday collected statements from the following...........my very annoyed neighbours due to suite being dumped outside and on our shared footpath - the firestation confirming that YES it was a fire hazard going on pictures taken of it outside - statement from man who collected it FREE OF CHARGE and also the advert placed on Sunday telling full and honest story.

Comment

As far as the court is concerned it will look at the evedence, that is that the buyere parted with his money in good faith on an item they had not seen,
        Peter
        Not so.

From Post 1

Female who lives 60 miles away viewed and gave me full asking price there and then of £150 - I had only wanted a deposit to secure but she was happy paying that. I gave her a receipt and pick up date of Saturday 26th November at 9am.
        If the buyer had parted with his/her money in exchange for an unseen article, they would have been even more stupid than is already apparent.

Comment

I dare say the court would take into account what would be a reaonable time to hold onto the goods, i think a week would be considered reaonable. Especially given that the buyer had paid in full for the item and no mention of any penalty for late collection was mentioned when the purchase was made.

Peter

Well she had SIX WEEKS to arrange collection.

At the firestation today I was told they have the power to contact local authority to have the suite removed due to its "dumped" position being a fire hazard.

Comment

To me its very obvious what happened - she simply changed her mind. The quotes she was receiving to collect suite from my home and take to hers were really high (120 mile round trip) - and she hadnt banked on that.

I live such a quiet life and this is just killing me - I never have trouble with anyone - at work or in my personal life. Last night I was scared to open my door (turned out was the paperboy!) and I am honestly worried sick. If I felt it was my fault I would rectify it - but I honestly feel it isnt. A contract was made - she was to collect suite on a time and date - she didnt. It was then removed from my home - the nightmare started with neighbours/strangers so with LOTS OF NOTICE to buyer - it was taken away and oh wow what a coincidence minute I let her know its gone SHE INSTANTLY CONTACTS ME!!!!

Comment

Hi HN (I thought you'd deserted us, lol) & Fortinbras,

It is, imho, a very useful thing to have a differing of opinion on the situation - it gives another perspective, which you you certainly get in court, & it encourages you to hone your argument, especially when a number of people contribute.
              So, use the info, whether for or against, as data from which you can formulate your 'defense'.

Sorry to see that this situation is worrying you so much.
              Last edited by charitynjw; 30th November 2011, 23:14:PM.
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi,

While I agree with Charity, I have to say I'd be surprised if it ever got that far. You appear to have done nothing wrong, in fact quite the opposite.

Please try not to worry about this, and you've no reason at all to be scared of opening your door. Times like this can be stressful and it is a stress you can do without.

What will be, will be - similarly what is done is done. From what you describe, I would be very happy to buy something second hand from you. Try to forget about it and get on with life. One thing about forums like this is you will nearly always get to see both sides of the coin which, as Charity says, is a good thing. You know any arguments that can be put against you and you are prepared for them. Peter is a really nice bloke, and is very good at putting his view across. However, place his one 'negative' comment (made over several posts) in the context of the many positive ones supporting your actions. It's all to easy to dwell on the negative when almost everything on this thread says you've done exactly the right thing.

The worry seriously is not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                  Hi HN (I thought you'd deserted us, lol.
                  Hi - I hope there are some animal lovers on as I have had such a nightmare past few days. I have an old dog who had a stroke this week and I have been at vets non stop - have had her since I was 28 (am 42 now) thankfully she is still with me but to have all of this to deal with has been so difficult.

Today I have had no texts from the buyer but that means nothing as yesterday I got text calling me "stupid boot" "messed up cow" "f*cked up bitch" "thieving tramp" yada yada. If ever I have felt like running away from everything - its right now.

Comment

Keep absolutely everything - back it up to computer if possible. Then concentrate on the important things in life like your dog. I'm pleased she's pulled through for you, they are such a worry when you notice them getting older.

As I type, mine is on the settee beside me, as normal, head on my knee, snoring his head off as if he were a pig!

Comment

thanks Labman - yes everything has been kept. I have an iphone and its so much easier to see everything as its all on the one page.

My old pooch is now on her back, paws pointing north, also snoring away!

Comment

To the OP could I just say please don't start thinking about your legal arguments now wait until she does something AND tell her NOW you will no longer respond to her harassing texts

If she then does do something seek further advice from here Believe me should this matter come to court (which I doubt) then your case is very straightforward. The case law which has been suggested can in some circumstances be very helpful but its not needed here yours is a simple case best not to cloud it with loads of legalese

Comment

You can get mobile phone apps which block bullying -
                          (for example http://www.itproportal.com/2011/06/0...calls-bullies/ )

But it might be more useful to receive & record them as evidence.
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                          gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi HN hunny don't worry about us lot all nagging at each other, its par for the course I'm afraid, boy you should see us when we get started on something we all really disagree about.

Like the others say, save the texts etc and get on with your life, look after that doggy of yours and relax, if the buyer couldn't be bothered to come and collect the goods that's their look out. If you do get seriously worried then to put your mind at rest take a walk into your local cop shop and show them everything, tell them your on your own with a little one and ask that they be prepared just in case you call them urgently.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                              You can get mobile phone apps which block bullying -
                              (for example http://www.itproportal.com/2011/06/0...calls-bullies/ )

But it might be more useful to receive & record them as evidence.
                              I'm pretty sure with the iPhone you can get an app to record conversations as well. I haven't got one, but I think I read about it somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by HaggisnNeeps View Post
                                I am so shocked you have said that. I have CLEARLY stated the suite was GIVEN AWAY FREE as couldnt possibly have been resold due to state it was in and also I had been contacting the buyer NON STOP VIA TEXT AND CALLS. All of this can be proved on my part.

I have since yesterday collected statements from the following...........my very annoyed neighbours due to suite being dumped outside and on our shared footpath - the firestation confirming that YES it was a fire hazard going on pictures taken of it outside - statement from man who collected it FREE OF CHARGE and also the advert placed on Sunday telling full and honest story.
                                You have to understand . I dont know you and niether does a court i am stating the position as it would be percieved by in independant observer.

Despite what people may tell you on here, there is another side to this and a court will give it just as much credance as they will yours, just an unpleasant fact i am affraid.
                                I am sure you have collected statments from your neighbours, would a court consider your actions in placing the item where you did to be the fault of the buyer?

Anyway you must do as you think best it is after all only my opinion.

Peter
                                Last edited by peterbard; 1st December 2011, 12:06:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X