• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PCSO's - legal status?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCSO's - legal status?

A Constable is considered to hold a 'public office' and can be arrested for 'misconduct/misfeasanse in public office'.

Does the same apply to a Police Community Support Officer? Do they hold a 'public office'?
    Tags: None

Re: PCSO's - legal status?

Have a look here http://www.policecommunitysupportoff...m/welcome.html this might answer some of your questions.

Comment

Thanks, seen that and similar. It doesn't answer the question though. 'Full members of police staff" sounds good but conveys nothing.

Any number of police employees fall into that category but do not hold public office.

I may have to write to a police force for a formal statement, but would rather avoid doing so if a definitive answer can be obtained elsewhere.

Comment

http://www.polfed.org/OC_Final.pdf

This would suggest to me that a PCSO does not hold public office as they do not have to swear allegiance to the Crown.

Have a read and see if it helps you.

Comment

Thanks, that's much along the lines of what I suspected. I found this FOI to Greater Manchester Police which says the same, only more clearly still.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/serving_ones_oath

It would seem that when faced with an out-of-control PCSO, one can only deal with them as (1) a private citizen, and (2) an employee of the Police. It's a curious position, and an unsatisfactory one, given that they have powers delegated by the Chief Constable.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
            It's a curious position, and an unsatisfactory one, given that they have powers delegated by the Chief Constable.
            I would agree, and most articles seem to agree that it is a cheap way of getting a police presence on the street.

Having said that,our local PCSO is extremely good and very high profile. However, two or three times I have approached him and he has not been able to help as he does not have the power to do so. Unlike some constables though, he has vast respect from the locals.

Comment

In terms of making a complaint
              - speak to duty inspector at any police station.
              (doing it on the phone you're likely to be fobbed off as with letters/email)
              - speak with professional standards branch
              - IPCC

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                I would agree, and most articles seem to agree that it is a cheap way of getting a police presence on the street.

Having said that,our local PCSO is extremely good and very high profile. However, two or three times I have approached him and he has not been able to help as he does not have the power to do so. Unlike some constables though, he has vast respect from the locals.
                I found out that if a matter reaches a certain point - they are require to bring a full fledged officer in. Has anyone else seen that these PCSO's seem to cycle out of an area? It doesnt really seem to give you continuity that our PCSO claimed was an important part of their training.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X