• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unconscionable Bargain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unconscionable Bargain

I'm trying to understand the consequences of an unconscionable bargain.

If a lender makes a remortgage to someone who is clearly in difficulty and unable to pay the new mortgage amounts and the court finds it is an unconscionable bargain, how would this be resolved?

I understand that the court would attempt to roll back to the start of the agreement, but how would that work when a remortgage takes place? One cannot restore the original mortgage...

Anyone able to explain?
    I am not a solicitor. Please seek your own legal advice before relying on my comments in this forum!
    Tags: None

Re: Unconscionable Bargain

As far as I understand this, and it is VERY limited, if a court has deemed something unconscionable, they will not allow the perpetrator of the conduct, in this case the remortgage company, to benefit.

One would assume that this could mean one of two things; one that they force the remortgage company to offer the loan interest free; two that the loan is declared null and void and everyone is put back in the position they were prior to any transaction taking place.

I stress this is a very amateur take on your question though.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
      As far as I understand this, and it is VERY limited, if a court has deemed something unconscionable, they will not allow the perpetrator of the conduct, in this case the remortgage company, to benefit.

One would assume that this could mean one of two things; one that they force the remortgage company to offer the loan interest free; two that the loan is declared null and void and everyone is put back in the position they were prior to any transaction taking place.

I stress this is a very amateur take on your question though.
      That was my understanding, but I have been unable to find a case that I could relate to the above situation. To put everyone back would be impossible as the old mortgage could not be reinstated, but that would mean the defendant would potentially lose their home. Clearly not a desirable position... :-)

The loan interest free is seems to be a better option, which presumably would also mean any interest that had previously been paid would have to be refunded...?
      I am not a solicitor. Please seek your own legal advice before relying on my comments in this forum!

Comment

The court can impose a fair interest rate, with refund as Caspar has said of excess paid under unfair terms.

'Unconscionable bargain' allows the court to re-open and re-write the entire agreement.

Comment

I would have thought that restitution for unjust enrichment would be the way forward.

Isn't 'unconscionable bargain' difficult to prove - it needs much more than an inequality re parties?
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks Guys. Don't suppose anyone can offer links to any cases, especially involving mortgages. I'm looking for how the cases are resolved rather than the actual legal arguments.

Comment

http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKHL/1985/2.html

(Not sure it helps much)
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks, yes it does help my understanding. I had been trying to find that one but my searches didn't uncover it...

If anyone has any similar cases revolving around unaffordable loans (as opposed to undue influence), I'd be very grateful.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X