• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

A very sad day for English justice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very sad day for English justice

I see that The Guardian law section have reported that for the first time in English legal history a judge delivered her own verdict on a serious criminal case after having dismissed the jury. This followed an allegation of jury tampering having been brought to her attention. As I argued in an article for the same section of The Guardian last year the provision which allows such judge-only trials should be abolished. It is sad to see that not only hasn’t this happened but that it has now been used. Perhaps almost as sad is quite how little coverage this received in the press.

http://www.babybarista.com/2011/07/1...BabyBarista%29
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Re: A very sad day for English justice

I fear we'll see a lot more of it as criminals start to target juries.

Comment

Thanks Charity - I'd not even realised it was legally possible to do that. I thought the old saying of people acting, "as judge and jury" meant that it was considered very unfair. IMO any such allegations should be dealt with by a re-trial with a new jury. It undermines the entire legal system when one person can indeed be judge and jury.

Comment

Guys is this not a NEWTON trial? where the judge sits on both sides of the table, I have had something like this 5 years ago in a crowncourt case, and I have to say in that case the judge was totally impartial (impressive with his knowledge of both CPS and Defendants rules of operation in that trial).

Bri

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
          Guys is this not a NEWTON trial? where the judge sits on both sides of the table,
          For that even to be possible suggests either that it was a very narrow table or that the judge was most egregiously steatopygous.
          Last edited by CleverClogs; 17th July 2011, 22:29:PM. Reason: adding glossary

Comment

I believe a Newton trial is only appropriate following a plea of guilty, where there may be a dispute as to the evidence, which may affect the level of sentencing.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

therefore its still a trial where evidence etc has to be laid out and debated before a decision (guilty/not guilty) is made...

: literal syntax on this:
              Trial without a jury

Crown Court trial without a jury is permitted in cases of suspected jury tampering where there is evidence of a "real and present danger" and, despite the possibility of police protection, there is a substantial likelihood of tampering, and a trial without a jury is in the interests of justice.[5] The first such prosecution application was made in February 2008.[6]
              There are also provisions under the Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act 2004, ss.17–20 to try defendants accused of domestic violence on sample counts and, on conviction, for the remainder of the counts to be tried by a judge alone. These provisions came into force on 8 January 2007.[7]
              If the defendant pleads autrefois, the judge now decides the matter without a jury.[8] In Northern Ireland, some terrorist offences were tried with bench trials called Diplock courts.

Bri

Comment

It matters not one jot what rationalisations you have cut and pasted from Wikipedia, the fact remains that someone was not tried before a jury of his peers on an indictable offence and was sentenced accordingly.

The verdicts might well have been much the same if the trial had been allowed to proceed normally, as only one member of the jury had been involved. Instead, the Recorder stopped the trial, discharged the jury and then continued the case, perhaps believing it was expedient or more convenient to do that than to ensure that justice was seen to have been done.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X