• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Searches on house purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searches on house purchase

Dont know whether anyone can help with this.

My sisiter in law bought a house in 2005 . She has recently found out that a huge gravel extraction plan could be right behind her property . This is in green belt land and she had no idea when she purchased the house. However she has also discovered that the plans were first put forward in 2003 before she made the purchase and were only put on hold due to a technicality - and to add insult to injury the solicitor who dealt with her purchase lived in the same village where the works may take place so he definitely knew about them .

would she have any come back against the information she was given as there is a good chance she would not have proceeded with the purchase if she had known.

If anyone has experience of this I will get her on the site to give some more info.

Jan
    "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Re: Searches on house purchase

bumpety bump:tinysmile_kiss_t4:
    "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

Comment

I know you are all out in the sun eating ice creams - but just wondered can any one even point me in the right direction about how to find out what searches should cover?

Comment

Hi scooby.

Sorry don't really know too much about this sort of thing, but she could try the following;

Check with her local council (If planning permission was granted but put on hold they should have a record of this)

Checkout the Solicitors Regulatory Authority Website for the Code of Conduct.

especially this page

http://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/cha...uct/rule4.page

Hope it helps.

CJ

Comment

This may not be the one that is going to affect your sister, but it may give her an idea on starting or joining a residents group see if they can help.

Inquiry starts into gravel extraction plans

A PUBLIC inquiry into plans to extract 1.5m tonnes of sand and gravel from a farm in West Oxfordshire has opened.
          Hanson Aggregates appealed after Oxfordshire county councillors rejected officers’ advice and turned down plans for a 146 acre extraction site at Stonehenge Farm, near Northmoor. Villagers had raised fears the plan could increase flooding risks and cause traffic problems.
          Robert Hanson, representing the county council, told the inquiry yesterday those issues had now been tackled by the company.
          But campaign group Oxfordshire Upper Thames Residents Against Gravel Extraction (Outrage), and local residents are fighting on.
          Outrage spokesman Charles Hopkins said: “The site will be transformed into what will appear to the innocent bystander as the Western Front, rather than West Oxfordshire.”

Comment

thanks for that - they are at the moment forming a group and raising funds to hire their own solicitor/barrister if necessary.

I have seen the map and their house will be very badly affected .

I have done some research but it is not very clear how much the searches should tell you. As usual there are only guidelines( that magical word) but it does say it should throw up things that may affect the property in the future and as this plan was really just put on hold I would say it was very relevant.

The solicitor should have indenmnity insurance so I guess the first thing would be to put in a complaint in writing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X