• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Section 140 CCA 1974 Judgement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Section 140 CCA 1974 Judgement

As far as I can make out, the county court has jurisdiction in a s140 CCA 1974 action.

Most county court actions are about money and the fee structure is based on this. How would this work if you were simply seeking a judgement as to whether the agreement was enforceable under s140? Say one alleged irresponsible lending...

What would be the procedure and what would be the fee? Would you be responsible for any costs if the agreement was judged enforceable?
    I am not a solicitor. Please seek your own legal advice before relying on my comments in this forum!

Re: Section 140 CCA 1974 Judgement

I have a feeling that you cannot ask for a Judge to rule that an agreement is unenforceable but merely defend a case on that basis.

Comment

But wasn't that what the recent Carey vs HSBC was about... Wasn't Carey seeking a judgement as to the enforceability of an agreement?
      I am not a solicitor. Please seek your own legal advice before relying on my comments in this forum!

Comment

This is one banks position on the Carey front regarding bank charges. Hope it helps a little (probably with regards another thread actually)

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Just to recap, do not know if info any use but on launch of ACCESS etc credit cards no agreement necessary at the time, only the initial use of the card was suppose to be the agreement. in the 1970s, I had one from NATWEST.

Comment

I only mentioned Carey as an example.

If we look at Bentley vs Blemain, if someone was in Bentley's position, i.e. had been sold a loan irresponsibly, he/she could be proactive and have the loan declared unenforceable before he/she got into difficulty.

I can see no reason why it could only be used as a defence - an unenforceable agreement is an unenforceable agreement. I have not been able to find an example of a CC case where the action was not over money...

From the OFT guidance on irresponsible lending:
            make a reasonable assessment of whether a borrower can afford to make repayments in a sustainable manner
            I would say most self certified loans would not pass this criteria...

Comment

Hi,

I am a very juvenile beagle puppy and have been presented with a letter from RBS claiming that they have been unable to find my CCA and the debt is unenforceable - what exactly does this mean to me? I have read much over the last week on this site, but my head is starting to spin.

many thanks and my apologies for butting in.

best regards

Comment

Originally posted by Redspike View Post
                Hi,

I am a very juvenile beagle puppy and have been presented with a letter from RBS claiming that they have been unable to find my CCA and the debt is unenforceable - what exactly does this mean to me? I have read much over the last week on this site, but my head is starting to spin.

many thanks and my apologies for butting in.

best regards
                You're off topic! :-)

An unenforceable agreement is unenforceable... Means they cannot use the courts to enforce the debt as they cannot produce an agreement, thus cannot prove there was any agreement to breach. If they later find the agreement, then they may be able to enforce.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X