• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Contracts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contracts

A contract should be fair to both parties

A few years ago a developer put together a lease, it was my land and he wanted to lease it.

1. When the land was sold we had to take a lower price for it because he had first choice so the land itself was devalued because of the lease, instead of getting £250,000 it was valued at, we were forced to accept £155,000 and this was brought about by the Terms and Conditions of the lease.

2. We were told that we couldn’t stop him from dumping contaminated soils on the land and we ended up with 26,000 tonnes of contaminated silt, it was tested and proven to be toxic but we still had no rights to stop him even though we owned the land.

3. It was clearly in the terms of the rent review that the rent, after 3 years, goes back from commercial @ £550 per acre, to agricultural @ £100 per acre.

Is it possible to sue for an unfair contract.
    Tags: None

A few points, Miles:

A lease is not a contract - the unfair contract terms legislation does not apply to leases or other contracts relating to interests in land.

Did you not engage a solicitor to advise you on the lease?

Whether you did or did not engage a solicitor, please tell me that you read the lease before signing it.

Who told you that you could not prevent the dumping of contaminated soil? I doubt that the Environment Agency would have agreed.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X