• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How to Add my name to our House Title

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Add my name to our House Title

Hi, Can anyone tell me if it's possible for my wife and I to change the title on our property from her single name to our joint names please and if the process is something we can do relatively easily ourselves?

Since 2013 the house we purchased (without mortgage) was put into my wife's single name, but at mid 70's now we want to tidy things up and put the house in both names in a Joint tenancy I think it's called.

All our previous properties were in joint names, but because I got into fights with banks and finance compaines pre- 2013 it was safer to protect my wife by putting this home in her name. Now we need to plan for any events the future might bring to our health and keep things simple.

I've looked at the Land Registry website and read various forms, but I wondered if someone might be able to talk me through the process and whether I'd really need a solicitor to do this? I'd prefer to do it myself without the cost of solicitors tbh.

I must admit to having been spooked by a couple of phone calls I made to what I believed was the Land Registry on Friday.....I'd Googled their number on my phone and spoke to a lady who sounded like she was in her house in India or somewhere similar who told me that solicitors would charge somewhere up to £800 to add my name , but they had an in-house service which would cost me £395 and she would transfer me 'now' to that department......( I've watched too many 'Pierogi' at Scammer Payback videos and followed Jim Browning on YouTube watching scammers at work to recocognise a potential scam not to get caught!) so I went on-line (thinking that was safer), sent my details in an on-line form to the alleged Land Registry and received a call almost instantly only to be confronted by another lady who also sounded like whe was in her kitchen who said it would cost me £345 and solicitors would cost me £500 so can 'transfer me to the in-house department 'now'! An hour or so later she called again pressing me to go ahead with this transaction! Yeah, Right!

So I thought I'd come to my safe house here on LB and ask for the honesty I always receive....I don't trust many these days sadly after my experiences with fighting banks and finance company solicitors has left a very sour taste in my mouth with their lies and deceipt. I can't tar all solicitors with the same brush, but I came across some evil characters who ought to have had sounder morals!

Can I do this? Anyone any idea on actual cost (i.e the real Land Registry cost) or what it might cost going to or via a solicitor?

Any guidance really appreciated.

Many thanks

A1
    Seek your own legal advice, I am not trained in legal matters, just give my opinion from my own personal experience.

I am an original Cabot Fan Club member and proud of it.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X