• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cycle paths damaging bikes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycle paths damaging bikes

I commute once a week to a weekend job by the canal towpath which the Canal and River Trust has designated a public permissable path and encourage cycling on it, I have contacted them in the past about their contractors cutting the hedges and leaving thorns all over the path which make it impossible to ride on without multiple punctures, they told me they should be leaf blowing the clippings off the path but the contractors are cutting corners and not doing it.

I accept a normal rate of a few punctures a year but not like recently both tyres gone within a mile of home, thats basically just damaging my bike , even with co2 and inner tube sealant you are not going to get home on that, my motive isnt money , i want them to do what they say and clear the path after cutting the hedges but the only other alternative is charge the for damage to my bike until they take responsibility.

what is the legal veiw of me sending them an invoice for repairs which if they refuse to pay will be collected up until the value makes it worth taking to small claims court ?

Tags: None

Originally posted by waterworks View Post
    I commute once a week to a weekend job by the canal towpath which the Canal and River Trust has designated a public permissable path and encourage cycling on it, I have contacted them in the past about their contractors cutting the hedges and leaving thorns all over the path which make it impossible to ride on without multiple punctures, they told me they should be leaf blowing the clippings off the path but the contractors are cutting corners and not doing it.

I accept a normal rate of a few punctures a year but not like recently both tyres gone within a mile of home, thats basically just damaging my bike , even with co2 and inner tube sealant you are not going to get home on that, my motive isnt money , i want them to do what they say and clear the path after cutting the hedges but the only other alternative is charge the for damage to my bike until they take responsibility.

what is the legal veiw of me sending them an invoice for repairs which if they refuse to pay will be collected up until the value makes it worth taking to small claims court ?

The Council will have Public Liability Insurance, there should be a claim form on their website. Fill in the form, provide evidence, so they know exactly what you saying.

Random Council website - https://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/the-co...ability-claim/

See where you go from there, update the thread.

Comment

Have you got anything in writing (including email) from the council saying that their contractors are meant to clear clippings from the towpath?

If you have, include a copy of that as evidence to go with your complaint. Also - obviously - you need photographs (or video) showing that the contractor has not been fulfilling their contractual obligations to the council. Include those as evidence as well.

If you haven't got anything in writing could you get some sort of confirmation by email? If all you can do is enquire by 'phone make sure you keep a note of the date and time, who you spoke to, and what they said.

It would do no harm to remind the council that they should be encouraging cycling as low carbon/clean air transport and not making it more difficult and more expensive for cyclists.

[Edit: Do you know your local councillor? Try them too]

Comment

As you are talking about a permissive part I think you will find the Canal and River Trust are liable for its maintenance.
        The Occupiers Liability Act 1957 will be in play and governs the duty of care that a land occupier must extend to visitors on their property.

Comment

Whoops! I was misled by ECHAT11's reference to "[t]he Council".

Comment

Originally posted by Manxman View Post
            Whoops! I was misled by ECHAT11's reference to "[t]he Council".
            Ye,s 100% my fault. They should hold PLI.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X