• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice Needed: Late Cancellation Fee for Chimney Sweep - Do I Have to Pay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed: Late Cancellation Fee for Chimney Sweep - Do I Have to Pay?

Hello everyone,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and could really use some advice regarding a recent interaction with a chimney sweep company.

Situation Summary:
    1. Initial Contact: On January 11th at 11 AM, I reached out to a chimney sweep company for their services.
    2. Appointment Scheduled: They scheduled an appointment for Monday, January 15th.
    3. Cancellation: Today, I cancelled the appointment via text message at around 2 PM to the contact person.

Issue: Post-cancellation, I received a message stating that I owe them £35 due to late cancellation, as per their Terms and Conditions (T&C).

Key Points:
    • Email Communication: In their initial booking confirmation email, they did mention attaching T&Cs. However, I did not read them, assuming it was just a standard confirmation.
    • Verbal Agreement: No mention of these terms was made over the phone during booking.

My Concern: I didn't sign any document or verbally agree to any terms. The T&C details were only in the email, which I didn't read.

Questions:
    1. Am I legally obligated to pay this £35 late cancellation fee?
    2. Has anyone else been in a similar situation, and how did you handle it?
    3. What are the laws (if any) on my side ?

Any advice, legal insights, or personal experiences related to such situations would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to understand my rights and the best course of action in this scenario.

Thank you in advance for your help!
    Last edited by abrook11; 14th January 2024, 19:15:PM.
    Many Thanks

Alex
    Tags: None

What do the T's & C's say about 'cancellation'?

Comment

You don't mention who the company are, or what size they are, but if we can assume for the moment they're a small business, or even a one-man band, your cancellation has left them with a hole in their schedule, loss of potential earnings, and no time to fill the slot with other business. So quite apart from the legalities (which may be on your side), there are reasons to be sympathetic to their position.

Comment

Originally posted by theberenger View Post
        You don't mention who the company are, or what size they are, but if we can assume for the moment they're a small business, or even a one-man band, your cancellation has left them with a hole in their schedule, loss of potential earnings, and no time to fill the slot with other business. So quite apart from the legalities (which may be on your side), there are reasons to be sympathetic to their position.
        Yes you are right, I understand completely , I didn't cancel in the end, he came round today.

When I sent him a message saying do you mind rescheduling until the end of the season, he called me back and was a bit miffed saying it clearly states in your T&C, which i didn't think I had at the time..

but anyway it's all resolved turned out to be a very nice guy, and I didn't want to mess him about either, I was just not aware there was £35 cancellation charge whilst he was screaming down the phone.
        Many Thanks

Alex

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X