• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Refunds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refunds

Hi
    thanks for taking the time to read this. Does a sports club have the right to refuse a pro-rata membership fee refund? To clarify, I’ve recently paid a renewal fee but, because of changes within the club, no longer wish to be a member. There isn’t a ‘no refund’ policy/clause posted anywhere on their website, or in the membership documents, but they’re refusing to refund me.
    Tags: None

Have you looked at the termination provisions?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi
      there aren’t any termination provisions promulgated anywhere

Comment

There is an article titled "Cancelling a gym membership" at www.citizensadvice.org.uk Sounds like you need a good reason such as serious injury, illness, can't afford it to cancel your membership and receive a refund.
        The Competition and Markets Authority advises that a gym contract is unfair if it doesn't let a member cancel their contract if the member has suffered serious injury, illness or can't afford to pay.
        How are you after that football injury, covid, and redundancy?
        If there is a term in the gym contract that states a member cannot cancel the contract for whatever reason then it may be regarded as an unfair term under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Comment

Are you suggesting that the OP says something that is not true, Pez?
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

It’s a shooting club. Since renewing, there have been a number of new members join, many of whom are not folk I’d want to associate with. There have also been a few safety issues as a consequence of too many people being there at once. Seems odd that, without any provisions/conditions re: early termination, they get to keep the balance of my membership fee

Comment

Not much you can do if you just made a bank transfer, wrote a cheque or paid cash and did not receive or ask for contract conditions.
              It is difficult to believe that a shooting club does not issue conditions and membership rules in writing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X